27. Strangers ?

Group Chat: Cupids 

Members: Shashank, Tisham, Dev, Sahana

*Dev added Sarthak

Sarthak: Hey guys!

Shashank: Hey Sarthak!

Sahana: Hi there!

Tisham: Dev, did you drag Sarthak here against his will ?

Dev: Hey, I am offended. Sarthak wanted to be a part of the fun.

Sarthak: Yeah, I'm excited to play cupid. You guys just need to ensure that I don't get my jaws broken. (*laughing emojis)

Dev: We give you a 99% guarantee.

Shashank: So, how did you convince Sarthak to join us ?

Dev: I agreed to marry his cousin sister, Reva.

Sarthak: Dude !

Sahana: WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?

Dev: Chill babe ! You own my heart <333

Dev: The real deal is that Reva, my college mate is getting married by the end of this month. 

Tisham: Ah, got it. So what's the surprise you were talking about ?

Dev: By God's grace, our new CEO friend, Sarthak, is in town right now. Another twist is that he happens to be Reva's elder brother. Threw in some filmy entertainment and chances of playing the potential second lead while sealing the deal and our bro here was ready to play his role except for that one clause he added. 

Sahana: His jaws ?

Dev: Yah babe.

Tisham: Haha ! Let's make sure we keep everyone safe and happy and let's get our plan on the move. ;))
____________________________________

Vaani's Pov

*Knock knock

"Come in."

"Ma'am, Mr. Roychowdhury is waiting for you outside." Sahana announced.

"Sahana, how many times have I asked you to call me by my name ?"

"Not yet habituated, you know." Sahana said.

"Get accustomed to it soon and send Mr. Roychowdhury in."

"Good Evening Vaani." Mr. Roychowdhury greeted me.

"Evening Mr. Roychowdhury." I greeted back.

"Seriously, Mr. Roychowdhury? That makes me sound old and wrinkly."

"Please take a seat," I said to Sarthak, smiling at his humorous roleplay.

After settling down, I asked, "Any issues with the project?"

"No no, absolutely not. Things are going as smoothly as possible. I am here to extend you an invitation to my sister's marriage."

"Oh ! Congratulations to your sister. I will definitely try to come." I said.

"Not try, you need to." He said. "Now if you would excuse me, I really have a lot of things to take care of."

"Make sure to allocate some time for having a meal when you visit next. I would love to reciprocate the kindness that you showed me when I was in Bangalore."

"Come on, Vaani. What are friends for ?" He said, grinning at me.

"Friends ?" I asked.

"Are we enemies then ?" He asked.

"I won't take up any more of your time," I said with a slight smile. "Bye, drive safely."

"Bye Vaani."

I turned to the window and gazed at the gloomy sky, mirroring my mood. Sarthak's question reminded me of one of our many bickerings while driving through a rainy night. I vividly remember the sound of the raindrops relentlessly hitting the windshield, the dimness of the streetlights, and our silly argument. 

Chuckling he asked, 'so are we the famous enemies to lovers troupe ?'

'Enemies maybe but lovers, not sure.'

'Not sure ? Why ? One can definitely fall in love with a charming man like me.'

'I am zero then.'

'Sorry what ?'

'You said one can fall in love with you so I am zero.'

'You are impossible.'

'You lose Oggy.' I laughed.

A lone tear slipped out of my eyes.

"Perhaps it was our fate to remain as strangers , rather than becoming lovers." I said to myself.

"Vaani," a familiar voice interrupted my train of thoughts.

Is it a figment of my imagination ?  I contemplated for a while before turning back to the person standing by the doorway.

Composing myself, I greeted him. "Mr. Basu."

____________________________________

💜