25. Distance

Agastya's Pov

As I lay beside Vaani, my mind wandered off to today's meet up with Pragya while exiting the restaurant with my clients. She insisted on having a conversation with me and I had to oblige as I didn't want to create a scene in front of my clients. 

'What is it Pragya ?' I was on hurry as I today was Vaani's mom and dad's anniversary celebration and I was already running late.

'Not a single hii or hello ?' Pragya asked.

'What do you have to say ?' I was in no mood for beating around the bush.

'Well, I broke up with Rudra because he couldn't make it big.' 

'I have no time for your mop story. Bye.' I was walking out of the restaurant when Pragya hugged me from behind.

'Wtf Pragya. Get off me.' I pushed her away. 'What do you want ?'

'I got what I wanted.' She said.

'What ?' I didn't get what she was referring to.

'Also,' she wrote down something on a napkin, 'here is my number, call me whenever you need me.' She forwarded the napkin towards me.

'You know what, I am loyal to my wife unlike you, you cheating bitch.' I tore the napkin into pieces and threw those shits at her.

'Mark my words baby, soon she will get sick of you and cut you out of her life. You were a pushover back then and you are still now.' 

'Shut up, just shut up.' I turned on my heels and immediately left the restaurant.

'Will you really get sick of me like she said ?' I whispered to Vaani, who was sleeping soundly in my embrace.

'You are becoming my habit Vaani. A habit which warms my heart and at the same time gnaws at my heart with the tremors of insecurities.' 

I turned around to take a look at the time. The screen showed 5:00 AM.

I dialled Ritam's number.

'Good morning Sir. I was just getting ready for the flight.' He said.

'You stay back and look after the tasks assigned to the employees. I will take the flight to States.'

'But Sir since it was a months trip you only asked me to go and look after the construction on your behalf.'

'Yah, now I am saying otherwise.' I replied in a stern voice.

'Okay Sir, as you say.' I cut the call and got up from the bed.

Vaani's Pov

I woke up to an empty bed beside me. 

Where did Agastya go ? 

I checked the washroom but it was empty as well.

I went downstairs to find dad reading his newspaper and mom in the kitchen, preparing the breakfast.

'Morning mom, morning dad.' I greeted them.

'Morning.' They greeted in unison.  

'Mom, where is Agastya ?' I asked.

'Why, isn't he in your room ?' Mom asked back.

'Oh ! I woke up early in the morning, like at 5:15 AM when I heard the main door being opened. It was Agastya. When I asked him where he was going this early in the morning he said that he had a business trip to States scheduled for today. Why ? He didn't inform you ?' Dad asked. 

'Oh right ! He did actually but I forgot.' I lied. 

After breakfast, I left for my office. 

The day passed by like a blur. It was 8:00 PM when I returned back to our house. I dialled Agastya's number quite a few times throughout the day but every call went unanswered.

I came out of the washroom when I heard my phone ringing.

The screen flashed Agastya's number.

'Hello.' I received the call.

No reply came from the other end.

'Hello Agastya.'

'Vaani.' His voice sounded tired and somewhat sorrowful. 

'Was informing me about your trip not that important to you ?' I asked.

'Vaani, I am going to States for 1 month regarding the project we are collaborating with the Andrews.'

'When was this trip planned ?' I asked.

'Some weeks back. I am sorry I forgot to inform you.'

And he lied.

Since I couldn't get a hold of Agastya, I had to dial Ritam's number against my will. He informed me that he was supposed to go on this trip but this morning Agastya decided to go by himself.

'Ok.' I played dumb and agreed with whatever he had to say.

For a while none of us spoke anything. It was only the hustle bustle in the background which cut through the silence.

I heard some announcements being made in the background.

'Vaani, I need to board my flight now.' He said from the other end.

'Have a safe trip.' I hung up.

Maybe I expected way too much from this marriage which already had an expiry date.

____________________________________

💜