17: PANINILBIHAN

'The suitor "serves" the woman's family by performing manual labor in this traditional wooing ritual. In doing so, he is demonstrating his ability to care for her and any future children they may have.'

•❅───✧❅✦❅✧───❅•

CLÍODHNA EISDRACHEN POINT OF VIEW

I arrived home at 4 P.M. Usually, I am alone at this time.

I was surprised when I opened the door because it was not locked.

Kumunot ang noo ko. Why was it not locked?

Nang makapasok ako, I found a jacket on the floor.

Kumunot ang noo ko when I realized it was Freyja's leather jacket. She was the only one who loved to wear it because she often rode her motorcycle instead of using her car.

Freyja was a neat person, and it was very unlikely that she would just drop her belongings on the floor and leave them there.

The more I thought about it, the more I felt uneasy, paano kung may nangyaring masama sa kanya?

My mind raced with horrible thoughts - had Freyja been in an accident? Was she hurt?

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my overwhelming emotions.

I quickly checked the pockets of her jacket, looking for anything that might give me a clue, but they were empty except for a few loose coins.

Carrying her jacket, I walked towards the stairs. In the middle of the staircase, I noticed a white shirt thrown on the railing. Mas lalo lang lumala ang pagkunot ko ng noo.

Naglakad ako upang lapitan ang white shirt na nasa railing and examined it closely. My heart started pounding harder when I noticed it was a small size - definitely not Freyja's shirt because she always wore medium shirts. I could feel a lump forming in my throat as I tried to ignore the sudden feeling of dread that began to consume me.

I picked up the white shirt, the fabric feeling soft as I ran my fingers over it. Tinignan ko ito ng maigi, trying to find any clues that could give me an idea of who it belonged to.

The shirt had a small, black insignia on its chest pocket, which seemed vaguely familiar to me. For a moment, I tried to rack my brain to recall where I had seen the emblem before.

Kaninong P.E Insignia ang black Serpent? Law Department? Journalism Department? Sigurado akong hindi sa amin 'to dahil iba ang symbol ng department namin.

Tumigil ako, huminga ng malalim. Bahala na. Basta Uniform 'to ng APU. 

Tumingin ako sa paligid saka tinignan muli ang shirt. It was then that I noticed that the shirt still had some buttons undone and that it was crumpled, as if someone had taken it off hastily.

I shivered at the implications of what it could mean. Huwag naman sana.

My mind racing, I began to piece together the clues, the unkempt shirt, Freyja's jacket on the floor - everything indicating something out of the ordinary had happened.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm the anxiety that was slowly creeping upon me.

Hinawakan ko ng mahipit ang hawak na damit then headed towards the twins' room. 

As I stood outside their door, I could hear muffled voices coming from inside.

I took another deep breath and pressed my ear to the door, hoping to catch a word or two.