49: TRIANGULATION

'Triangulation is a (mostly) endgame technique used to force your opponent into . Triangulation is typically achieved when a king moves in a triangle to create the effect of "losing a move". The point is that the same position is achieved after one side made 3 moves, whereas the other side made only two moves.' -ChessFox

•❅───✧❅✦❅✧───❅•

CLÍODHNA EISDRACHEN POINT OF VIEW

"Congratulations, Autumn, to you and Hera," my mom exclaimed, squeezing me tightly. She was beaming with pride upon hearing the news that Hera was pregnant.

As tears of joy flowed down my cheeks, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed. I was going to be a mother!

The realization kept repeating in my mind, amplifying my happiness to an unparalleled level. I wasn't just happy; I was overjoyed beyond measure.

Taking a moment to soak it all in, I looked over at Hera, peacefully sleeping. An overwhelming surge of pride coursed through me, compelling me to want to shout it out to the world.

"Mom, could you please give me a little space here for a while? I want to be the first person Hera sees when she wakes up," I spoke softly, not making eye contact with my mom.

She released her embrace on me, and I could feel her gaze lingering for a few seconds before she let out a gentle sigh. "Okay, let us know if you need anything," she said, planting a tender kiss on my right cheek. "Come on, August," I heard her call out before she walked out the door.

I thought Dad would follow Mom, but she stayed behind, "I grew up without a father by my side, and I struggled to become a Dad who was always there for you and your siblings. I simply mimicked my own father, allowing you all to grow with minimal of my presence. But I hope that you become the best mother you can be, and don't let your child grow up without a you by her side," her voice remained calm and filled with warmth.

"I saw what happened earlier, and so did your mom. I won't say anything. Clio, anak kita, I'm on your side. If you make mistakes, I'll guide you through them, and if you're doing the right thing, I'll support you," she reassured me once again. I slowly turned away from Hera, who peacefully slumbered on the right side of the bed, to face Dad.

"Regarding Athena..." I began, but she interrupted swiftly.

"I won't question you," she firmly stated, cutting off what I was about to say. "Puso mo 'yan, you can't teach your heart to love one specific person, but you can teach yourself para manindigan sa iisa tao lang" she continued, moving to sit on the sofa positioned on the right side of the room, near the door.

I took a deep breath, contemplating her words. "If you were in my shoes, Dad, could you choose?" I asked without much thought, curious for her response.

"I would only choose if my heart love two people simultaneously. But I love your mom, and she was the only one without any competition. So, I'm not sure about the word 'choose'; all I know is to stand by my decision," she spoke confidently, without filtering her words or second-guessing her stance.

"I love your mom but I never forced her to love me back. I couldn't be selfish and take her away while she still had feelings for someone else. If I had tried to cling to her and not walked away, your other mom might have grown to despise me," she chuckled softly and shook her head.

"What I mean, Clio, is if I were in your position, I wouldn't choose. I'm strong enough to bear the pain alone, but I'm not strong enough to witness the person I love suffer because of my own love," she explained, clasping her hands together.