kill him first

Chapter twenty three

Ao'nung looked at Jake like he was crazy. He didn't know how or why Jake would expect such a favor from the great mother.

"She's helped me before," Jake argued back. "It's our last hope."

Ao'nung snarled, hands rubbing his temples. "No, no, I mean it won't work." Ao'nung rolled his eyes. By now Jake was fed up with the young boy.

"You do know I have to give my blessing for you to Mate with my son." Jake's voice was stern with a mocking and devilish tone in it.

Ao'nung turned around in disbelief, Jake was threatening him with Neteyam?

"That's childish."

"No it's not. I never said I approved of you and why not have this conversation now?"

"No, we have too much to think about."

"Well with your plan we're all gonna die, so let's get it out of the way."

"I do not care if you approve of me, Teyam is m-"

"No he is not. He's MY son and nothing to you."

Before Ao'nung could respond there was arguing heard in the distance.

"You first, Chief." Jake smiled sourly.

Ao'nung and Jake walked in sync, approaching the clan, grouped together.

"Lo'ak!" Kiri's scream was heard, 'causing Jake and Ao'nung to shove through the crowd.

"What is going on!" Ao'nung raised his voice.

"He's a traitor!" Lo'ak hissed at Spider, wiping the blood from his nose away.

"I was young and stupid." Spider argued, dropping his knife, indicating his surrender.

"Lo'ak, stop." Neteyem tried to pull Lo'ak away but he shoved Neteyam back.

"Lo'ak!" Ao'nung ran to help Neteyem up, a low growl escaping his lips towards Lo'ak.

"It's fine, I'm fine." Neteyam reassured Ao'nung.

"Please, brother, stop this." Kiri pleaded, standing in front of Spider.

"You side with this traitor?"

"He was yo-"

"He's the reason this is all happening again!"

"It-"

"Neteyam died because of that man!"

It went silent.
The waves crashing to shore
Heavy breathing
Rain slowly sprinkling
Ilu's chirping
Children whispering

"Someone explain, now." Jake ordered. Looking to both Spider and Lo'ak.

Lo'ak chuckled, wiping more blood from his bottom lip, "want me to tell him or you?"

Spider sighed, moving Kiri behind him. "He's alive because of me." He took one last deep breathe before all hell broke loose. "I saved, Quaritch from drowning that day."