Chapter 24: Sparring with Houou

Author Note: Here is a key for reference in case the reading is confusing.

"" -Someone is speaking outloud

'' -Someone is thinking to themselves/also used to for the name Hikaru at times to show that it is actually Hinako in disguise.

***. -Time Skip

_______________________________________________________________________________

3rd Person POV

It was finally the weekend, and Honoka was thrilled. She loved her friends, but the atmosphere at Shishiku was one that she never thought she would get used to.

Hikaru drug Hinako with him today to hangout with some of his friends from school who wanted to meet 'Hinako's' 'big brother'. She laughed at the thought. 'Poor Hinako, having to pretend to be Hikaru even on the weekend.'

Chilling at the estate, Honoka decided to head to the training room to practice more techniques that didn't involve her ribbon. 'As much as I love to use it, I shouldn't become dependent on it.' She thought.

She took some time to stretch and get limber before starting her different punches and jabs on a punching bag that was in the room. Eventually she switched to kicks onto a dummy to practice precision attacking.

While she was practicing hitting certain combinations of pressure points, the training room door opened as Houou walked in. "Training on your day off?" He asks partly surprised.

Honoka stopped hitting the dummy, taking a small break. "Yeah, more out of habit really. Even growing up if I had free time I would train. I've always enjoyed it!" She answered before taking a drink of water. "What about you?"

"I train often to stay in top shape." He replied with a grin. "No ribbon today? Isn't that like your signature in fighting?"

Wiping some sweat off her forehead, she responded. "It's definitely my favorite, but I don't want to become rusty without it."

"Makes sense. It's smart to think ahead like that." He walked over to the punching bag and started to hit it in a certain rhythm.

After a minute, Honoka went back over to the dummy to continue practicing hitting pressure points.

"Have you ever thought about what you're going to do after you graduate?" Houou asks, still hitting the bag.

"Honestly, no. I enjoy fighting, but other than that I don't know. I've mostly been focused on Hinako and the fact I have a family now." She answered. After a few more hits, she too asked a question. "What about you? Are you going to take over dad's place as boss in the yakuza?"

Houou stopped hitting the bag, turning to look at her.

Not hearing him hit the bag anymore, Honoka also stopped to look at him.

Houou went to take a seat. "I guess they never told you, huh?" He suddenly asks.

"Told me what?" Honoka asks as she went to sit on the floor in front of him.

"Well for starters, I'm not qualified to take his place."

Confused, she asks, "What do you mean? You're the first born of the Onigashima family, and you're a great fighter. Lastly, you're graduating as Shishiku's boss, so that family rule is also covered right? What's missing?"

"I'm not the first born of Onigashima. I'm not even blood related. Isamu adopted me into the family."

Seeing that she was still curious, Houou started to explain.

"My birth father was a part of the Yakuza group with Isamu. He was in charge of Isamu's safety. One day he died in a fight against the Urashima Yakuza, protecting Isamu. Isamu adopted me into the family after that, but since I have no blood relation I can't be the next boss. My birth family has always protected the Onigashimas by choice and I plan to do the same for the next boss."

Finally understanding she nodded. "Gotcha. Is that why you were happy to meet me? Even though we aren't really brother and sister?"

"Yes, I was happy to hear that there were more members of the family besides just Hikaru. He was never interested in the yakuza, so I always worried for the future of the group."

"Well, if you aren't the next head. Then who will be? Hikaru? I can't see that happening."

Houou chuckled. "To be honest I can't really either. It will most likely be either you or Hinako. Either way, I'll be there to keep you guys safe."

Honoka became shocked at the news, but after thinking about it. It made sense that one of them would become the next head as they could actually fight and go to Shishiku.

She huffed as she laid down on the ground. "So much for my day off. Now I've got things to think about."

Houou laughed as he stood up. "Come on. You up for a spar?"

Hopping up, Honoka got into her fighting stance. "I've been waiting for a chance to spar with you. I'm not there yet, but I want to see how far I need to go to get to your level." She said with determination written on her face.

"Sure you're not just distracting yourself from thinking?"

"It's a win win," she responded with a grin.

They spared for a couple of hours with Honoka losing every time. She would be able to knock him off balance or land a hit occasionally, but he was always quick to recover.

During the spar, Houou thought about the future of the Onigashima Yakuza and the girl in front of him. 'I don't know who the next boss will be.' He started to think as he blocked a hit, only to miss the kick that she threw at the same time. 'But you would make a good one. Strong and caring towards your friends.' He smiled despite the hit and kept sparring with her.

______________________________________________________________

I know these last couple chapters have been short, but consider them important mini chapters. The next one should be long, so until next time...

World_Imaginer