[4] Percy the plumber

ONCE Y/N REALISED he was, in fact, completely sane, they embarked on a delightful tour of the camp.

As he passed by the volleyball pit several campers exchanged knowing glances. Some of them pointed to the Minotaur horn Percy was carrying and murmured, "That's him." Most of the campers were older than Percy and Y/N, and their satyr friends, taller than Jeremy, trotted around in vibrant orange CAMP HALF-BLOOD T-shirts, with their shaggy hindquarters on display.

Glancing back at the farmhouse, Y/N realized just how big it was. It soared four stories high, with a sky-blue façade adorned with white trim, resembling an upscale seaside resort. While he was admiring the brass eagle weathervane on the rooftop, something in the uppermost window of the attic gable caught his attention. The curtain had shifted for just a brief moment, but it left him with a distinct feeling of being watched.

Percy seemed to notice as well. "What's up there?" Chiron turned to where Percy was pointing, and his smile faded.

"Just the attic," he replied, his voice taking on a tense note.

"Does someone live there?" he pressed, still intrigued.

"No," Chiron stated firmly. "Not a single living thing." Although Y/N sensed he was being truthful, he couldn't shake the feeling that something had indeed moved that curtain. Chiron, with a now slightly forced light hearted tone, said, "Come along now, there's much more to see."

They strolled through the strawberry fields, where campers busily harvested baskets of berries while a satyr played a melody on a reed pipe. Chiron informed him that the camp cultivated a bountiful crop for New York restaurants and Mount Olympus, covering their expenses. "The strawberries require minimal effort," he explained. He mentioned that Mr. D had an unusual effect on fruit-bearing plants, causing them to flourish.

Percy seemed lost in thought as he walked. "Do you think Grover will get into too much trouble?" he asked Chiron. "I mean, he was a great protector, really."

Chiron sighed and removed his tweed jacket, draping it over his horse's back like a saddle. "Grover has ambitious dreams, Percy, perhaps even beyond reason. To achieve his goal, he must first demonstrate great courage by succeeding as a keeper, finding a new camper, and safely escorting them to Half-Blood Hill, much like Jeremy did with Y/N."

"But he did that!" Percy insisted.

"I may agree with you," Chiron replied, "but it's not my place to judge. Dionysus and the Council of Cloven Elders must decide. I'm afraid they may not view this assignment as a success. Grover lost you in New York, and then there's the... unfortunate... fate of your mother and the fact that Grover was unconscious when you brought him across the property line. The council might question whether this shows any courage on Grover's part."

"Will he at least get a second chance?" Percy pleaded.

Chiron winced. "I'm afraid that was Grover's second chance, Percy. The council wasn't eager to grant him another, especially after what happened the first time, five years ago. I advised him to wait longer before trying again. He's still so small for his age..."

"How old is he?" Y/N asked, puzzled.

"Twenty-eight," Chiron responded matter-of-factly. "Jeremy as well."

"What! And they're in sixth grade?" Percy exclaimed.

"Satyrs mature at half the rate of humans, Percy. Grover and Jeremy have been the equivalent of middle school students for the past six years," Chiron explained.