[15] We stay at the Lotus Casino

Percy's anger simmered as he glared at Ares. "We need to have a little talk with Ares."

The war god was waiting for us in the diner parking lot, his presence exuding a dangerous aura.

"Well, well," he said with a sly grin. "You didn't get yourself killed."

"You knew it was a trap," Percy growled, his frustration evident. Ares chuckled darkly.

"Bet that crippled blacksmith was surprised when he netted a couple of stupid kids. You looked good on TV."

Percy took a threatening step towards him, but before the he could do anything, I stepped forward, swiftly removing the shield from my arm.

"Your shield, Lord Ares," I said politely, holding it out to him. Ares raised an eyebrow and accepted the bronze shield. With a casual motion, he transformed it into a bulletproof vest and slung it across his back.

"At least Y/N knows how to respect a god," he remarked, a smirk playing on his lips. "See that truck over there?" He pointed to an eighteen-wheeler parked across the street. "That's your ride. It'll take you straight to L.A., with one stop in Vegas."

The truck bore a sign that read: KINDNESS INTERNATIONAL: HUMANE ZOO TRANSPORT. WARNING: LIVE WILD ANIMALS.

"You're kidding," Percy muttered.

"Free ride west, punk. Stop complaining. And here's a little something for doing the job." Ares then pulled a blue nylon backpack off his motorcycle's handlebars and tossed it to me. Inside, we found fresh clothes for all of us, twenty bucks in cash, a pouch full of golden drachmas, and a bag of Double Stuf Oreos.

Percy, still upset, peered into the bag and turned back to Ares. "We don't want your lousy—"

"Thank you, Lord Ares," I interjected, giving him a pointed look. "Thanks a lot." 

I glanced back at the diner, where a few curious onlookers, including the waitress who had served us dinner, were gawking at us. The fry cook had even emerged with a disposable camera, snapping a picture of us.

"You owe me one more thing," Percy pressed, his voice tense. "You promised me information about my mother."

"You sure you can handle the news?" Ares revved his motorcycle. "She's not dead."

Percy's anger quickly gave way to shock and disbelief. "What do you mean?"

"I mean she was taken away from the Minotaur before she could die. She was turned into a shower of gold, right? That's metamorphosis. Not death. She's being kept." Ares grinned wickedly.

"Kept. Why?" I inquired.

"You need to study war, bud. Hostages. You take somebody to control somebody else."

"Nobody's controlling me," Percy retorted. Ares laughed.

"Oh yeah? See you around, kid." He revved his Harley and roared off down Delancy Street.

"That was not smart, Percy," Annabeth sighed.

"I don't care," Percy grumbled.

"You don't want a god as your enemy." I cautioned, running a hand through my hair. "Especially a war god."

"Hey, guys," Grover interjected, his tone urgent. "I hate to interrupt, but..." He pointed towards the diner. At the register, the last two customers were paying their check, two men in identical black coveralls, with a white logo on their backs that matched the one on the KINDNESS INTERNATIONAL truck. "If we're taking the zoo express," Grover said, "we need to hurry."