[9] Percy blows up a bus

It didn't take me long to pack. But it took even longer for me to say goodbye. As I made my way to the big house, I was bombarded by, 'good luck', and 'don't die out there.' Almost everyone I passed seemed sad, as if I was signing my own grave. But I didn't let it deter me.

Annabeth was bringing her magic Yankees cap, which she told me had been a twelfth-birthday present from her mom. She carried a book on famous classical architecture, written in Ancient Greek, to read when she got bored, and a long bronze knife, hidden in her shirt sleeve. I was sure the knife would get us busted the first time we went through a metal detector.

Grover wore his fake feet and his pants to pass as human. He wore a green rasta-style cap, because when it rained his curly hair flattened and you could just see the tips of his horns. His bright orange backpack was full of scrap metal and apples to snack on. In his pocket was a set of reed pipes his daddy goat had carved for him, even though he only knew two songs: Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 12 and Hilary Duff 's "So Yesterday," both of which sounded pretty bad on reed pipes.

Percy seemed to carry the least out of all of us. He had some spare clothes, some toiletries, and some drachmas and mortal money for emergencies. We waved good-bye to the other campers, took one last look at the strawberry fields, the ocean, and the Big House, then hiked up Half-Blood Hill to the tall pine tree that used to be Thalia, daughter of Zeus.

Chiron was waiting for us in his wheelchair. Next to him stood the surfer dude I'd seen when I was recovering in the sick room. According to Grover, the guy was the camp's head of security. He supposedly had eyes all over his body so he could never be surprised. Today, though, he was wearing a chauffeur's uniform, so I could only see extra peepers on his hands, face and neck.

"This is Argus," Chiron told me. "He will drive you into the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things." I heard footsteps behind us. Luke came running up the hill, carrying a pair of basketball shoes.

"Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you." Annabeth blushed, the way she always did when Luke was around. "Just wanted to say good luck," Luke told Percy. "And I thought...um, maybe you could use these." He handed Percy the sneakers, which looked pretty normal. They even smelled kind of normal.

"Maia!" Luke yelled. White bird's wings sprouted out of the heels, startling Percy so much he dropped them. The shoes flapped around on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared.

"Awesome!" Grover said. Luke smiled.

"Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days..." His expression turned sad.

"Hey, man," Percy said. "Thanks."

"Listen, Percy..." Luke looked uncomfortable. "A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just . . . kill some monsters for me, okay? You too Y/N" We shook hands. Luke patted Grover's head between his horns, then gave a good-bye hug to Annabeth, who looked like she might pass out. After Luke was gone, I told her, "You're hyperventilating."

"Am not."

"You let him capture the flag instead of you, didn't you?" Percy smirked.

"Oh...why do I want to go anywhere with you, Percy?" She groaned. Argus strolled down to the van, jingling his car keys. Percy seemed to look at Luke's shoes, cringing slightly.

"I won't be able to use these, will I?" Percy asked. Chiron shook his head.

"Luke meant well, Percy. But taking to the air, that would not be wise for you." Percy nodded, disappointed, but seemed to light up.

"Hey, Y/N. You want a magic item?" I looked at the sneakers, shuddering slightly.

"Thanks for the offer, but...I think I'm good." Percy shrugged, before turning to Grover.