[5] Stowaways on a Princess

"What's going on?" Annabeth asked, sprinting over to the boys. "I heard you calling for help!"

"Me, too!" Tyson said. "Heard you yell, 'Bad things are attacking!'"

"We didn't call you guys," Percy said. "We're fine."

"But then why..." Annabeth paused, noticing the three yellow duffel bags, then the thermos and the bottle of vitamins Y/N was holding. "What the..."

"Just listen," Y/N said. "We don't have much time." He told them about the conversation with Hermes. By the time he was finished, there was screeching in the distance. Hungry patrol harpies picking up on their scent.

"We have to do the quest!" Annabeth exclaimed.

"We'll get expelled, you know." Percy replied. "Trust me, I'm an expert at getting expelled."

"So? If we fail, there won't be any camp to come back to." Annabeth countered.

"Yeah, but you promised Chiron..."

"I promised I'd keep you from danger. I can only do that by coming with you! Tyson can stay behind and tell them-"

"I want to go," Tyson said.

"No!" Annabeth sounded like she was on the verge of a panic attack. "I mean... Come on. You know that's impossible."

Y/N raised an eyebrow. "Tyson can come. I don't see why not."

"We can't leave him," Percy added. "Tantalus will punish him for us being gone."

"Guys," Annabeth squeaked, trying to keep her cool, "we're going to Polyphemus's island! Polyphemus is an S-i-k... a C-y-k..." She stamped her foot in frustration. "You know what I mean!"

"Tyson can go," Percy insisted, "if he wants to."

Tyson clapped his hands. "Want to!" Annabeth glared at Percy, but didn't protest any further.

"All right," she huffed. "How do we get to that ship?"

"Hermes said my father would help." Percy replied.

"Well then, Bubbles? What are you waiting for? I think I can hear the harpies coming." Y/N said nervously. Percy hurried over to the surf, going ankle deep into the waves.

"Um... hey... Dad?" Percy called out. "What's up?"

"Percy!" Annabeth whispered. "We're in a hurry!"

"We need your help," Percy called a little louder. "We need to get to that ship, like, before we get eaten and stuff, so..." At first, nothing happened. Waves crashed against the shore like normal. The harpies sounded like they were right behind the sand dunes. Then, about a hundred yards out to sea, three white lines appeared on the surface. They moved fast toward the shore, like claws ripping through the ocean. As they neared the beach, the surf burst apart and the heads of three white stallions reared out of the waves.

Tyson caught his breath. "Fish ponies!" As the creatures pulled themselves onto the sand, they were only horses in the front; their back halves were silvery fish bodies, with glistening scales and rainbow tail fins.

"Hippocampi!" Annabeth said in awe.

"They're stunning." Y/N petted the nearest one. It whinnied in appreciation and nuzzled him.

"We'll admire them later," Percy said. "Come on!"

"There!" a voice screeched out.

"Bad children out of cabins! Snack time for lucky harpies!" Five of them were fluttering over the top of the dune, with their plump little hags with pinched faces and talons and feathery wings too small for their bodies.