[11] Meetin' the meat eatin' sheep

A Monster's Island wasn't really a good way to describe it. Sure, it had a rope bridge across a chasm, which wasn't a good sign. But except for that, the place looked like a Caribbean postcard. It had green fields and tropical fruit trees and white beaches.

As they sailed toward the shore, Annabeth breathed in the sweet air. "The Fleece," she said.

"I could almost live off this air," Y/N took a deep breath and sighed.

"If we take it away, will the island die?" Percy questioned.

Annabeth shook her head. "It'll fade. Go back to what it would be normally, whatever that is."

In the meadow at the base of the ravine, several dozen sheep were milling around. They were huge, the size of hippos. Just past them was a path that led up into the hills. At the top of the path, near the edge of the canyon, was the massive oak tree. Something gold glittered in its branches.

"This is too easy," Percy said. "We could just hike up there and take it."

Annabeth's eyes narrowed. "There's supposed be a guardian. A dragon or..."

Suddenly, a deer emerged from the bushes. It trotted into the meadow, probably looking for grass to eat when the sheep all bleated at once and rushed the animal. It happened so fast that the deer stumbled and was lost in a sea of wool and trampling hooves. Grass and tufts of fur flew into the air. A second later the sheep all moved away, back to their regular peaceful wanderings. Where the deer had been was a pile of clean white bones.

"They're like piranhas," Y/N said in horror. "Piranhas with wool. How will we..."

"Look!" Annabeth gasped. "Over there." She pointed down the beach, to just below the sheep meadow, where a small boat had been run aground... the other lifeboat from the CSS Birmingham.

They moored the Queen Anne's Revenge on the back side of the island where the cliffs rose straight up two hundred feet. Percy rowed a lifeboat to the edge of the rocks and made our way up, very slowly. Annabeth went first, and then Y/N and then Percy.

A minute later Y/N hit a slippery patch of moss and his foot slipped. Fortunately, he found something else to put it against. Unfortunately, that something was Percy's face. "Sorry," he murmured.

"S'okay," Percy grunted. "Though, I never really wanted to know what your shoe tasted like."

Finally, they managed to haul themselves over the top of the cliff and collapsed.

"Ugh," Percy said.

"Ouch," moaned Annabeth.

"Oof," Y/N groaned.

"Garrr!" bellowed another voice.

The three demigods whipped around.

"Shhhh!" Annabeth hissed She pointed. The ledge they were sitting on was quite narrow. It dropped off on the opposite side, and that's where the voice was coming from. "You're a feisty one!" the deep voice bellowed.

"Challenge me! Give me back my sword and I'll fight you!" Another voice yelled. It was a girl's, gruff and angry.

The monster roared with laughter. They crept to the edge, right above the entrance of the Cyclops's cave. Down below stood Polyphemus and Grover, still in his wedding dress. Clarisse was tied up, hanging upside down over a pot of boiling water.

"Hmm," Polyphemus pondered. "Eat loudmouth girl now or wait for wedding feast? What does my bride think?" He turned to Grover, who backed up and almost tripped over his completed bridal train. "Oh, um, I'm not hungry right now, dear. Perhaps..."