CHAPTER 14 - AMAZING STRANGERS

Eric opened the door and saw Leonardo at his doorstep.

"Hey Leo, what's poppin'?"

Leo looked very sad but he managed to force a smile through the melancholic face.

"Bro, I have some news."

"Good or Bad?"

"As a matter of fact, both."

There was a brief pause.

"Tell me the good news."

His smile widened.

Suddenly, three girls appeared from his back and they were all shouting –

"Surprise!!!"

Eric was flabbergasted.

"Woah!"

Cynthia, Chloe and Roxanne were all at his doorstep.

"We thought we should pass by your place to inspect your health status." Said Chloe.

"I'm fine, thank you. Please come in."

They all filed in and seated on a sofa.

Juliet heard noises, so she came to the scene.

"OMG!, Eric are these your friends?"

"Uhm, I guess so."

"Is this your sister?" Cynthia asked.

"Where are my manners." Said Eric. "Cynthia, Chloe, Roxanne, meet my sister. Juliet." He geared to his sister. "Juliet meet my friends."

Juliet sat on the same chair with Eric which opposite the visitors.

"Eric, your sister is so cute!"

"Oh, thank you very much." Juliet swiftly stated. "Lately I've been using this skin care product and..."

"Please, Juliet." Eric Interrupts. "She was talking to me not you."

She wanted to speak again but Eric swiftly challenged her.

"And don't you have a playdate today?"

"Oh, that's true. I'll call him to come over right now." She said as she ran back upstairs.

On looking back, his saw his friends gazing at him with pity.

"What's wrong why y'all looking at me like that?"

"It's time for the bad news." Said Leonardo.

They were all smiling with delight when they came in but now they were saddened in despair.

He was bewildered of this oxymoron behavior.

"Dr. Lincoln had used one of his machines to survey the internal structures of your body system." Said Roxanne.

"And the results came out today." Chloe added as she stretches out an envelope to him.

Eric nervously received the envelope, opened it and read it contents.

"BRAIN TUMOR?!" he yelled in consternation. "Why and how do I have brain tumor?"

Immediately they all bursted in tears.

"No No, don't cry. It's alright." Eric said with high spirits.

"No dude, it's not alright. You are on the final stage. You'll die anytime from now."

Eric felt his heart sank. His worst nightmares were all coming to pass.

"I'm back everybody!" Juliet shouted as she approaches the living room.

"Please don't tell my sister anything." Eric whispers to the others.

"So what do you guys think of my outfit?"

"You look ravishing dear!" Chloe complimented

"Thanks. I wanna show you something. I'll be right back."

She ran upstairs again.

As Eric returns the tests results back into the envelope, he found another note inside.

"That one is from Miss James." Cynthia stated.

He unfolded the note and read its contents –

'Dear Eric Royce

I'm sternly sorry for reprimanding you on your first day. Now I know you weren't a psychopath. I hope you'll find it in your beautiful heart to forgive me.

Love, Miss James.

Eric struggled to hold back tears but it was gradually finding its way out.

"So when are you gonna tell your parents?" Roxanne questioned.

Eric sniffed and wiped his face with his cloth.

"I won't tell them."

"Why? They have to know." Said Chloe

"My mother is asthmatic, I won't want her to pass out before I do."

Everyone was silent until Leo chimed in with his idea. "I was wondering if we should have a sleep over at your place to honor your last day on earth."

"Yeah, that's a great idea." Cynthia thought. "What do you think girls?"

Chloe replied with a positive nod and Roxanne gave a thumbs-up.

"Let's all check in with our parents and freshen up first. We'd be back by dawn." Cynthia added and they all stood up and left.

"Ah man!, They've gone?" Juliet whined as she approaches the living room.

"They are returning for a sleep over."

"Sleep over? HEEEEEEE!!!." She squealed as she abruptly picks up her phone and began dialing a number.

"Yo Brian. There is a change of schedule. Come over by seven for a sleepover!"