2.2

Despair Bear

We were gathered around the front desk as we watched Mr. Dupain bake. "I'll let you in on a little secret. I always add cream to the chocolate to make the ganache extra velvety. Then I let infuse for one minute." I was watching intently and taking notes. 

I always had a hobby for baking and if there is a free lesson on how to make the perfect macaron, I would take it. I continued to take notes when I felt someone over my shoulder. They were so close that I could feel their breath hit my neck.

"Taking notes I see, think I could try some?" Adrien asks with a little smile, "maybe we can give them to my dad." I chuckle, "You want to bribe your dad?" He shrugs a looks around, making sure no one is watching when he wraps an arm around my waist and pulls me closer, "Maybe, if it means I can keep seeing you. I'm going to tell him soon."

I look up to him, ready to speak when Chloe's voice rang, "Urgh! Do they seriously think I'm going to get my hands dirty, cooking like some maid? If I want a croissant, I'd just make my butler get it for me. I'm not going to risk ruining my Chanel pants, who is he kidding?" 

I sigh and turn to Chloe, still conscious that Adrien's arm is resting on my side. "Chloe, he's making macarons not croissants, and second if you don't want to make them, then don't pay attention. Don't have to ruin something that isn't even worth a grade for everyone else."

Chloe huffs and looks at me, "Like you and Adrien have been doing?" She then looks down at Adrien's resting hand and I instinctively push it away. "What have you two been up to? Is something going on?"

I shook my head, "Nothing, we're just friends."

She raises a brow in suspicion, but decides not to press on. "I don't care, but what about the poor little baker girl. This is worse than anything I could do to her." She then walked over to the windows and went on her phone.

I was about to protest until I let her words sink in. She wasn't wrong, it was a low blow for me to take Adrien after telling Marinette I had no interest and led her on the path of pursuing him. But it wasn't my fault. I was into Chat Noir who just so happened to be Adrien. That shouldn't count. Right.

I was deep in thought before I was pulled out by Adrien, "Hey, are you alright?" I look into his emerald eyes and smile, "Yeah, I'm fine." He smiles softly and turns back to the front, I follow.

A little while after, Marinette was asked to step out of the classroom and take the dough to the fridge. A little after she left, the fire alarm went off.

Confused we all followed  Miss Bustier's orders and left the classroom in a single file line. We talk out but realize that there was no actual fire and that no drill was planned today. Suddenly Mr. Damocles steps up to the front with a firefighter.

"So, some smart aleck had the bright idea of calling the fire department. Somebody amongst us thought it would be funny to waste the fire captain's valuable time." Adrien and Nino gasp in shock, Marinette looks at Chloe accusingly and I sigh. 

Chloe, why....

Marinette leaned towards me and Alya, "I'm sure it was Chloe. I saw her on the phone right before the alarm went off." I sighed again, "Yea I know, I saw it too."

I look back at Chloe and she stares in return, feigning innocence as she raised her hand, "Mr. Damocles, sir. I saw a student leave the classroom right before the alarm went off. It must've been her. Isn't that right, Marinette Dupain-Cheng."  

Mr. Damocles nodded, "Well, Marinette. You have something to tell us?" Marinette stammered before Adrien jumped in, "Wait, excuse me sir, but it couldn't possibly be Marinette, why would she disrupt her own father's cooking class."