Chapter One: Meeting the Family

What is it that makes a man, a man? Is it his origins? The way things start? Or is it something else? Something harder to describe? My father asked about these things often. He was asking groundbreaking and meaningful questions. I could never answer his questions in a way I thought was meaningful. You see it all began in 1944 on a classified mission in Scotland, the year he found me and my brother. The Nazis were desperate. Combining science and black magic. Not a good idea. My father was there because even though he was only 28 and already a paranormal advisor to the president at the time. He used to tell me that even though the things he saw were horrific, he wouldn't change a thing because he found his children that night. My brother and me. My name is Raven, my brother is called Hellboy and this is the story about how we almost ended the world.

The day that this all started was a basic day. I was in my meditation room when I heard a knock on my door. When I opened it, I saw my father there finally home. I smiled and hugged him tightly. You see unlike normal humans who aged a year at a time, my aging was quite slow. So while my father looked more like a grandfather, I still looked like I was in my mid to late 20s. Other than that, I looked human for the most part. I have lightly tanned skin, My hair is normally a midnight black but I added purple to my hair. I felt like it fitted my personality. The only thing that looked inhuman on me were my eyes. Most people's eyes are blue, green, or brown. Mine were a vibrant purple but when I used my abilities or was extremely mad or in danger, they turned black.

"Welcome Home Father" I whispered to my father, I was so happy to have him home.

"Thank you my raven" He held me in a comforting way before asking "Would you do your father the honor of walking with him to the Library? We have a guest in there I want you to meet."

I could never deny my father of something like that, so I nodded before grabbing my black cardigan and walking with him to the library. When we got there, I saw a fairly normal-looking guy walking towards my friend Abe's tank. "Father, who is that?"

"That is your brother's newest handler." He told me simply before we walked towards the man who was asking abe different questions including questioning if he really was reading the books that surround the tank. "Four books at once, every day" my father spoke startling the man. When the man turned around, I noticed that despite him being kind of plain-looking, he was actually fairly handsome. "As long as I'm there to turn the pages" I held my father's arm as we walked towards the man. "My name is Broom, Professor Trevor Broom" He shook the man's hand before gesturing to me "And this is my daughter, Raven"

I shook his hand and got flashes of his life. His name was John Myers and even though he was quite plain-looking, he had a good heart. When I was brought out of my visions, I gave him a smile before saying "Welcome to the circus" I joked.

He smiled before he tried to introduce himself. "Sir, ma'am, I am John--"

"Agent John T Myers, Kansas City, '76" Abe spoke, startling John, "T stands for Thaddeus, mother's older brother. The scar on your chin happened when you were ten. You are still wondering if it will ever fade away."

At the mention of the scar, John brushed it while asking "How did it?"

"He" Father and I interrupted. I don't like it when people call my family things like 'It'. "Not he" My father continued with a chuckle. "Abraham Sapien. Discovered alive in a secret chamber of St. Trinian Foundling hospital, Washington." My father explained Abe's discovery. While he was doing so, I began to turn some of the books' pages. "His name was taken from this little inscription stuck to the side of his tank."He used his cane to point at a piece of paper.

"Icthyo Sapiens, April 14th, 1865" John read out loud.

"The day that Abraham Lincoln died. Hence the name Abe Sapien" I smiled at my father's interaction with the new guy but I laughed when I watched John's face when he took notice of the green hard boil eggs to my father's left.