Wattpad Original
There are 26 more free parts

Chapter 108

Swinging my gaze forward again, I barely stopped myself from breaking into a sprint

Disappearing around the corner, I blew out a strained breath, trying to tame my frantic heartbeat. I felt like I was living on borrowed time. No one would ever learn Romain's secret from me. It wasn't Romain I was doing this for, it was Dolcie and her unborn child.

Even though the Servants' Quarters were warm and my jacket toasty, a chill had wormed its way inside my bones. It had more to do with Romain's threat to cast me out of his House, perhaps remove me permanently, than the temperature of the house. I crossed my forearms over my chest and briskly rubbed my arms.

The corridors were boisterous and busy with servants flowing in and out of the Servants' Hall. I entered our dining room and slanted my gaze sideways to see if I could spot my aunt and couldn't find her. She'd probably eaten and left already.

Collecting a plastic tray and perching a plate, cutlery, and tin mug on its nicked surface, I joined the long line of diners and was served a generous portion of shepherd's pie. The savory smell of stewed lamb, carrots, peas, and tomato, topped with a golden crust of potato, wafted from the plate as I turned around, wondering where I could sit.

A hand reached high above the heads of those gathered around the numerous tables, Oswin calling out my name, "Tabitha!" and waving me over to join the table he'd snagged. Weaving through the densely packed room, the loud noise of conversation and clattering silverware assaulting my ears, I slipped into the spare seat beside Beckah.

Removing my jacket, I folded it neatly across the back of my chair and dug into the piping-hot food. My belly was at least comforted with the deliciousness of the pie and helped calm my nerves from the intimidating encounter with Romain. All I had to do was keep my tongue silent, which was easy enough for me.

Oswin sat next to Dolcie who fussed with her hair just as much as she pushed the food around on her plate. Beckah ruled over the conversation. Once again, it was all about the wedding and trying to get her older sister to change her mind about keeping it small and simple. Thankfully, neither she nor Oswin noticed that Dolcie and I couldn't meet each other's eyes. Oswin was on cloud nine, an arm resting on the back of Dolcie's chair. He wore a proud smile that lit up his blue eyes with happiness and permanently rounded his cheeks.

The wedding was a few days away and instead of the banquet hall at the Monarch Towers, which Beckah had wanted, it was going to be held on the estate. Markel had offered to make the wedding cake too.

"What about a proper Hen's night in Ascendria?" Beckah pouted.

Dolcie cringed and shook her head. "I really couldn't." She tucked a brown curl of hair behind her ear, dropping her gaze back down at her plate and using her fork to toy with the mashed potato. She'd hardly eaten anything.

"Come on Tabitha, I'm sure you'd want a girls' night out rather than a few drinks here," Beckah begged with big brown eyes, her hands pressed together as if praying. It was one of the rare occasions we girls and boys could actually go out and party—within reason of course.