Wattpad Original
There are 60 more free parts

Chapter 74

Fatigue pulled at every limb in my body and sucked what little energy I had left

Fatigue pulled at every limb in my body and sucked what little energy I had left. I needed to sleep. I wanted to sleep for an eternity and never awaken.

An hour later I found myself staggering down a hallway in the Monarch Towers and dragging my weary body into some fucking fancy hotel room after hanging the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door handle.

I went straight for the minibar that was hidden behind glossy mahogany and pulled the door open to snatch up a few bottles of alcohol.

I hadn't changed either. My wild hair was crunchy with sweat and my face had a thin sheen of salt, but who the fuck cared? Not me. My adamere armor was glamoured, as were the blades still strapped to my thighs. I had no idea what the woman behind the desk thought I was wearing when she handed over the room card—a business suit probably. The bellboy had covertly blown out a relieved breath when I barked at him that I'd carry my own luggage, which was only my weapons bag. I'd only realized just then that I'd obviously gone to my rooms to grab it before leaving the estate. It was second nature to take my weapons with me everywhere I went, along with my Brick. I just didn't remember going to my room to collect either of them.

I swayed, dead on my feet. I'd been awake and pushing it for days. I drank three mini-bottles of whiskey, one after the other before my mind went black. I crumpled like an accordion and passed the fuck out on the floor.

When I groggily awoke, my body stiff and muscles aching, I didn't have a clue what time of day or night it was with the heavy black-out curtains blocking the city skyline. I groaned, slowly easing painful, throbbing muscles, and pushed to my feet. I took a piss in the sumptuous marbled bathroom and swilled down a bellyful of water. My boots thumped on the carpet, along with my armor as I stripped off, then clambered into the luxurious hotel bed, and willingly fell back into slumber.

The dreamworld was a heavy weight sinking through my mind, and its sticky fingers latched hold and dragged me down, down, down into its murky void. I drifted into a soothing place, cradled by inky darkness, where I wasn't plagued by nightmares of my brother's headless body collapsing upon the forest floor.

I didn't dream of that thing with many eyes staring back at me.

A flick of a forked tongue over needle-like teeth, bloodied and stringy with sinew.

A cruel laugh.

A mocking hiss.

Nor did I thrash awake, to find myself shivering and sweaty and out of breath.

Instead, I slumbered, embraced by peaceful nothingness.

When I next woke, I wasn't surprised to find I'd slept for a full day. I was still shattered and bone-weary and now starving. I couldn't be bothered with room service so I stuffed myself with what I found in the minibar: crackers and roasted nuts, chips, and pretzels; then I crawled back into bed to sleep some more.