Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

Chapter 123

Someone was shaking me awake

I batted at the hand trying to lure me out of the comforting depths of sleep.

"Come on, wakey-wakey."

A rhythmic pain pounded inside my head—boom, boom, boom. Prising open my gritty eyes, I flinched and threw an arm over my face swiftly to shield myself from the blinding daylight and too-bright colors.

Holy hells...

Groaning, I squinted at Oswin beneath the shadow of my forearm. He stood beside my bunk with a cheerful grin, seemingly much more chipper than someone who'd been out drinking and clubbing until 2 am should be. He should be in bed like me, nursing a hangover and feeling like a jackhammer was trying to crack his brain open. My tongue rasped in a tacky mouth that felt like it had been stuffed with cotton balls. "What happened last night?" The last I remembered was a vague memory of plunking down on the seat beside Oswin after returning from the rooftop bar.

"You went a bit wild last night," His mouth pulled taut with a grimace when he amended. "Well, we all did."

"That's down to you and that tequila," I grumbled, then winced at my too-loud voice that exacerbated the—boom, boom, boom.

"And all those cocktails." He drew his hand from my arm to pat the bunk rail in a series of quick thumps. "Come on, Best Man, get yourself out of bed, there's a wedding to get to."

I kneaded my throbbing temples with my fingertips and smacked my dry lips. Holy Zrenyth, I was dehydrated.

Oswin shifted back from the bunk and skimmed the flat of his hand across the blond curls that had been gelled and smoothed from his forehead in glossy waves. Muted sunlight poured between open curtains, brushing the soft edge of the black bow tie and flowing over a shoulder clothed in a sharp-looking tuxedo. "Very dapper," I croaked.

Oswin drew back further from the bunk and pinched the black lapels that shimmered as he swiveled from side to side to give me a better view of the houndstooth tuxedo with satin detailing. He flashed a broad smile. "Thank you."

A ghostly touch humming with otherworldly power arose within me. The dark magic slunk forward to lick away the pain drilling my head. It whined softly in sympathy, winding itself around my bones in a reassuring hug after it had consumed the last throbbing ache.

Ahhh, so much better.

Levering up by my elbows, I pushed myself to sit upright. The soft blankets tumbled to my middle, and my fingers snagged in the bird's nest of snarls, stinging my scalp, as I shoved the tangled mess of hair from my face. I glanced about my bedroom, frowning in confusion. "What happened? How did I get here?" I had no freaking recollection of returning to the mansion last night.

"You came back from dancing, stole my fresh pint, and sculled it back."

My eyebrows rose. "I did?"