Wattpad Original
There are 120 more free parts

Chapter 14

Tomas and Dolcie? Why hadn't I seen that coming? Not that I'd noticed them together, but a lot of couples managed to keep their romances secret

Tomas and Dolcie? Why hadn't I seen that coming? Not that I'd noticed them together, but a lot of couples managed to keep their romances secret. My heart squeezed painfully as it spiraled downward...and then it soared when I heard Beckah say, "Something happened between them last weekend, and he's gone off her. I think, all that," she said, waving a dismissive hand toward her retreating sister, "is just her feeling the sting of rejection."

Tomas had gone off Dolcie because of me.

Part of me felt a little bad for Dolcie, but not enough to diminish the fluttering thrill that erupted inside my chest.

Pretty—he'd called me.

I think.

At the time it was a little hard to make out. But I was positive he'd called me pretty before he'd pressed those soft, warm lips to mine.

"I don't get it," Oswin said, angrily scuffing the grass with the toe of his boot. "The guy's a total dickhead." He winced when I shot him a quick scowl. "Sorry, Tabitha." He dragged a hand through his curly blond hair. "Tomas... Why do you girls like him so much?"

"I don't know," said Beckah, staring up at the blue sky, tapping a finger against her pink lips pretending to think. "Maybe because he's so gorgeous. Maybe it's those big, blue eyes of his, and those kissable lips. Right, Tabitha?"

I nodded. Cobalt blue, fringed by golden lashes. And kissable lips, so, so, so kissable, and I should know because I got a taste of them.

"He messes with girls, gets what he wants, and then moves on. He's just a pretty boy with nothing up here," Oswin grouched, stabbing a finger to his temple. "The other day he got confused between an orange and a grapefruit. He works in the orchards for gods' sake. One is twice the size of the other. And they're two different colors."

But I wasn't listening anymore. My thoughts were on Tomas, wondering if he was counting down the hours to see me at the dance like I was too.

Beckah got to her feet, brushing crumbs from her skirt. She pouted, clearly annoyed. "I'd better go see if she's alright."

Beckah left, and Oswin turned his attention to the sandwiches while I nibbled on more slices of apple.

The ends of my ponytail that lay across a shoulder lifted in silken strands, rising in the air. At first, I thought it was a cool autumn breeze until I heard my aunt whisper with fear edging her voice, "Tabitha."

I glanced her way and saw that she was staring over my shoulder, her green eyes wide with fright.

If I hadn't been daydreaming about Tomas I might have noticed that the thing inside me had grown alert.

I twisted around, and my heartbeat faltered.

The bloodhound speared its senses across the knot of children, eating and drinking, to a pair of boys tussling over a toy. Maybe because of what I was, what kind of other resided inside me, I could feel the aether crackling in the air around the fighting boys. Static electricity made their short hair rise around their heads like halos.