Wattpad Original
There are 131 more free parts

Chapter 3

Marissa nudged me with an elbow

Marissa nudged me with an elbow. "Come on Tabitha... This time I'm sure you will."

I smiled brightly and lifted a single shoulder as if to say—maybe. But Marissa had turned away and was busy posturing in front of a full-length mirror as if she were at the end of a catwalk. I guess she was trying to see what angle her Yves Saint Laurent dress would look best in, or what pose was most flattering for when the man she had her eye on walked in.

Confidence.

Marissa oozed it. And I didn't.

I mentally kicked myself.

I wasn't going to meet anyone at the dance with that kind of negative attitude.

And if the heist I was going to attempt to do tomorrow night was going to go up in a ball of fiery flames and my life became forfeit, then at least one aspect of my life was going to change—if somewhat momentarily. I was going to get a second kiss from Tomas. I pursed my mouth as I fell into deeper thought—or maybe a first kiss because I wasn't completely sure if last week's one counted.

Blinking, I realized time was ticking. I lunged for Marissa, grabbing her by the arm and dragging her away from the mirror, toward the open bedroom doors. "Come on, we need to hurry, the Wychthorns will be here any minute. Your family is already gathering outside."

She pulled an annoyed face. "All right, message received."

The door to her rooms snickered shut behind us. We hastily moved down the flight of stairs, through the twists and turns of hallways, and reached the inner balcony leading to the grand staircase.

Marissa hissed, "Shit." She glanced sideways at me, rolling her eyes as I scowled at her curse. "What about the Crowther twins? Varen and Valarie, are they here?" she asked.

"Not yet," I replied, striding beside her. "They'll arrive this evening. They're detained on business."

Marissa made a considering hum. "I overheard my father on a business call. The Yakuza need to be routed. They've been caught skimming from the Horned Gods." She then blew out a relieved breath. "Good, the less time spent in the Crowthers company the better."

I frowned. "Didn't you invite them?"

"I did it because Byron wanted a favor, and it's not as if I can say no to the heir of the Great House. " She shrugged as if I should understand.

I did. Very much like us servants not being able to turn down a request from one of those higher-ranking families we served—even if we didn't agree, we didn't have a choice.

Our footsteps clattered upon the glossy wooden steps as we headed down the grand staircase to the massive front door. Still," she said, "Byron won't be pleased. He's looking forward to seeing Valarie. Which, I really don't understand, she is just plain weird, and Varen... He's..." I glanced at her, watching her nose wrinkle as she gave it some thought. "A jerk to put it mildly. And mean."