Two

Katy

I knew he wasn't supposed to be in the house. But I couldn't pass up the opportunity to talk to him a little bit. I used to hate him. He had to be a real piece of trash if Daddy kept him in the barn, forbidding anyone to associate with him.

But I had to admit...his looks had certainly changed. His muscles had filled out his body nicely due to all the ranch work, and he'd noticeably grown taller. Even his voice had changed. It was deep and sexy. Today was the first time I'd ever heard him laugh. Why did I catch myself wanting to hear it again? I scoffed at myself. I must have gotten too hot today or something because I was thinking crazy. I have a boyfriend. A hot, rich boyfriend. A low-life farm boy held nothing for me.

I did feel a little bad for getting him in trouble. He wanted to leave, and I insisted he stay. I was amused at how uncomfortable he looked to be around me. And I still don't know his name. I would ask Daddy, but he would wonder why I want to know. So that was a big fat no. And I certainly wouldn't ask Benny either. I wondered what was going to happen in the barn.

I went downstairs and found the house empty. The sun had set already, and the yard lit up by the full moon. The barn lights were still on, and the doors were open. I slipped out the back door and into the shadows of the night. My flip flops crunched when I hit gravel, and I froze. I slid them off my feet and held them in my hand. It was very quiet. No talking. Just the constant sounds that belong to a ranch. I tiptoed over and slid behind the ranch truck where I was out of sight, the shadows consuming me. But I also had a clear view of the inside of the barn. I saw the boy standing there quietly. His weight rested on his left foot and his left arm was bent, casually holding his other at the elbow. He was just standing...dreadfully waiting. His eyes burned a hole in the floor of the barn as he never shifted them anywhere else. If it wasn't for the rise of his chest from deep breaths, he would look like a statue. I could see the worry on his face. He was scared. Why? Daddy and Benny are probably just going to gripe him out. Say a few harsh words. And be done with it. Just like usual.

I sat and waited with anticipation. It seemed like forever before Daddy and Benny came around the corner. The boy straightened a little when they entered. His body visibly grew tense. I strained to hear what they were saying, but they were facing away from me, and their voices didn't travel as far as I wanted them to. After they conversed back and forth a moment, my eyes widened when I saw Benny strike the boy in the face. He slightly stumbled but straightened back up quickly. His eyes were still glued to the ground. Was he afraid to look at them?

I watched Daddy walk out of the barn, leaving Benny alone with him. The boy stayed rooted to the ground as Benny went a little too far out of my sight. "Get over here," I heard Benny command from wherever he was at. The boy obeyed. I glanced around to see if there was somewhere else I could hide that was closer. The zero-turn mower was parked right beside the doors against the wall. I quietly made my way over, making sure to stay in the shadows. I squatted down beside it and looked through the opening to see. I felt a tickle on my thigh. When I looked down it was a spider, and I nearly had a heart attack. It took everything I had not to screech. I slapped it off my leg and hoped it was scared enough to run away and never come back.

When I looked back into the barn, Benny was pulling the boy up by his wrists that were bound in leather belts. He picked him up almost all the way off the floor. He was shirtless now, and I found myself infatuated, roaming my eyes over his exposed body. His muscles in his stomach were flexed from the position he was forced in. His jeans rode low on his hips, exposing a deliciously defined V that disappeared down inside. His stomach drew in and out from his heavy breathing. I'd been too busy admiring the view that I didn't realize Benny had picked up a leather strap until I heard it slap across the boy's flawless skin. I watched as his muscles tensed even more. His jaw was clenched as a small, pained groan escaped from his throat.