Nine

Katy

The hurt in Jacob's eyes when Shawn mentioned his parents prickled at my heart. We all sat in anticipation wondering what would happen next. I could see a flood of emotions covering his face. I couldn't help but follow him when he left. I couldn't let Shawn get to him like that. I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't the lividness in his eyes. Or his words.

"Go back to your fucking boyfriend, Katy."

I stared at his retreating back with my jaw on the ground. I suddenly felt like crying. Tears formed and I took in a few deep breaths. I heard him slam his door. I didn't want this to happen. I thought Shawn might try to bully him but never expected it to get this personal. I stood there for what seemed like forever before I stalked back to the bonfire. My tears were gone by then and replaced with anger.

"What the fuck was that, Shawn?" I said as I walked up to him.

He feigned innocence. "What? I was just kidding with the guy. It's not my fault he can't take a joke."

"We both know that's bullshit."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Why do you even care?"

"Because that was a shitty thing to do. You don't know what happened to his parents. They're both dead." Everyone's eyes were on us now. He shrugged. Shrugged. "I can't with you right now." I walked away from him, avoiding his touch when he reached out for my hand to stop me. Anna and Cassie followed me back to the house and to my room. Daddy was asleep already.

I flopped down on my bed. "Katy, are you okay?" Anna asked as she sat down beside me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Shawn was being a dick for no reason."

She put her arm around my shoulders. "He's always that way. Why does it bother you so much tonight?" Confusion was etched on her face. In their eyes, I'm sure that it seemed crazy that I would care in the slightest way or even defend Jacob. That I would give a damn about his feelings.

I wasn't sure what to say to her except, "Because my mom is dead, and I know what that feels like." Her eyes saddened, and she gripped me tighter into a hug.

"Katy's right. Shawn was being a jerk," Cassie spoke up. "Jacob seems really nice."

Anna didn't comment, and I know it's because she's just as shallow as the rest of us. He didn't fit in with us and she knew it. We all knew it. But I couldn't help this nagging feeling of guilt in my chest. Why was I feeling something for him? I don't know what that something was, but it was more than my usual disgust I'd had for years.

My brain hurt from thinking, being upset, and being exhausted. "I just wanna go to bed."

The next morning, I woke up before Anna and Cassie. I don't know if the guys were still asleep by the lake or not. They weren't up at the house. I went downstairs and started the coffee pot. As I inhaled the delicious scent of Folgers, I peeked out the kitchen curtain to see if I could catch a glimpse of Jacob. Then I was instantly irritated at myself for wanting to see him. I shook my head and peeked out anyway. I watched until the coffee was finish and never saw him, only a few others. I took out my favorite coffee cup and filled it, fixing it just perfectly. After I took a sip, I went over to the window and peeked out again.

My heart fluttered when I saw him walking behind Benny to do something he was explaining. Benny was pointing out towards the pasture telling him something. Jacob wasn't smiling. He kind of looked...sad. I didn't like it. He nodded at Benny, and they split, going in opposite directions. I stared as Jacob walked away from me. His walk was so sexy. I don't know why I was so attracted to him in his faded, wore out jeans that were frayed at the bottom on top of his boots. Despite being tall and having long legs, his pants bunched at the bottom and dragged in the back across the dirt. He had on a plain gray t shirt, and I could see the outline of his shoulder blades from the back.