A Mother's Heart

My name is Zuriyah, I'm a 22-year-old stripper. I didn't always want to become a stripper but life had other plans if I hadn't become a stripper I would have probably been on the streets, homeless and lost. I have a 5-year-old daughter who lives with my grandmother, I do everything for them. I was young and dumb. And did not listen, so I guess the consequence of my action got me here. My mom died when I was 16, it somewhat affected my life. I had to live with my grandparents because I had no father, well he wasn't there and I never got to meet him, I don't know if he's dead or alive but I hope I do get the chance to meet him.

Today was going to be a hectic day at the club, I woke up early so I could spend the day with my daughter, I promised her I would and it was Saturday and Taboo ( The club I work at) opens at 10 pm.

I got up from my bed and went to the bathroom, took a shower, brushed my teeth and did my hair, I don't always wear makeup mostly when am at work. I went to my dresser and found a sweatshirt suit that I decided to wear and my shoes and my loop earrings which matched. I called my grandma last night and told her I was going to come today and get her.

I grab my phone and purse, I call an Uber to come pick me up, I'm working towards buying my car soon. The car finally got here after 10 minutes of waiting, when it said it was 2 minutes away, I got in and told him where to drive to.

We got to my grandma's house, it always brings back memories of when I was a young innocent girl playing with my cousin, I don't want my daughter to ever be like me. I pulled open the gate and saw my grandma sitting on the veranda. It wasn't a big house, it was a small, zinc roof house with 2 bedrooms which was shared with me and my cousins, my grandma had the other but it was not the size that mattered it was the time we spent there and enjoying it.

"Hey mama," I said kissing her forehead and then sitting beside her.

"mi jus guh sen har fi guh bathe," she said referring to my daughter.

"How yuh doing mi gyal pickney" she asked me.

"Keeping up wid life," I said before I heard Lamika shouting.

"Grandma I need help putting on my clothes" she shouted from inside, she has a loud mouth. I laugh just like her mother.

I went to look where she was and saw her struggling to put on her pants, once she saw me her face lit up like a Christmas tree. I pick her up and kiss her all over her face, I miss her but I could not bring her to live with me, I wouldn't have anyone to watch her at night and my grandma refused to let her live in my community it was even more dangerous, than the one I grew up in.

"I miss you, baby," I told her.

"I miss you too Mommy, why did it take you so long to come for me" she asked pouting.

"Mommy has been busy but I promise we're going to have a lot of fun," I said laughing at her face. My baby speaks proper English but she also knows Patwa.

I helped her put on her clothes which were similar in colour to mine, I did her hair in two buns, she has pretty long hair which am grateful for because it doesn't have to be combed all the time. I do think it has to do with her father, I don't remember his name or anything, you can guess she has my last name. I was drunk at a party and we ended up hooking up and when I woke up, I was naked in a bed alone. I did not bother to try to find him, but I was happy my grandma did not throw me out but she did say I had to work.

I pick her up in my arms and bring her outside, I had already called another Uber when I was talking with my grandma.

"put dung di pickney and mek she walk," my grandma said. started whining when I put her down. My granny hates it when I pamper her, she said she is too big for that and if I pamper her too much she going to be rude, I don't know where she got |√ that from.

The taxi was here I said bye to my granny and held Lamika's hands leading her to the car.

"We going out to eat mama?" she asked.

"Yes, baby we are going to your favourite place" I told her. Which is Popeyes she loves Popeyes a lot, especially their fries.

After a few minutes, we got to Popeyes, I woke up Zora she likes sleeping even if it's just a 5-minute car ride. I paid the man and we went into the restaurant.

"What would you like?" the cashier asked.

"Can I get a two-piece combo, five-piece chicken tenders, large fries and corn?" I said handing her the money. I also ordered something for my grandma. We waited until it was our turn to collect the food.

We ate and talked about school and other stuff she was really happy, that's what makes me happy about being a mother, making your child feel loved even if you are the only parent in their life.

"Where do you want to go after this" I ask her.

"Ice cream Mommy I want ice cream," she said with a pleading face, I laughed at her cuteness and said okay.

We were done eating, I threw away our stuff and cleaned her face then picked her up, Devon house wasn't far away so I decided to walk since it wasn't far, it was a good distance away.

While walking I got a call from my best friend.

"weh yuh wah? I asked.

"Mi naa beg yuh nth, I'm just reminding you that I'm coming to see you later," she said. I told her okay, and that I was with Zora and hung up

"Mommy who was that" Zora asked.

"That was Auntie T," I said.

"Aww she didn't say hey to me, why Mommy?" she asked with a sad face.

"she is busy and just reminds Mama about something," I said.

Her name is Tiana, and we have been best friends for years even before I had Zora, we met in primary school and instantly became friends, she's is still in school to become a lawyer, her family has a good amount of money living in the high-class life, yet she never judges me but always supports.

Once we got to Devon's house, I asked her what ice cream she wanted. She said strawberry, I ordered it and also ordered a grape nut ice cream for myself.

While walking to the booth to sit, a child bumped into Zora and her ice cream fell. She started crying, I swear I thought someone died the way she was crying. I pick her up.

"I'm sorry," the child in front of me said.

"It's okay- " I was interrupted by someone.

"Liyah did I not tell you to stop running," The man said, referring to the little girl.

"I'm sorry uncle, I did not mean to run into her," the child whose name is liyah said.

"It's okay, I'm sorry about that can I buy back your ice cream little one" The man said to Zora, she shook her head yes and wiped her eyes.

"No, thank you," I said to the man. He was handsome I'm not even going to lie, he does look like I see him somewhere but I just brush that off.

"Naa, I insist on buying it back," I said okay, I wasn't going to go back and forth, it was almost 2 and I needed to go home to collect stuff for tonight.

He handed me the money, I told them thanks and bought another ice cream for her. She played on my phone until it was time for us to leave because it was now 2:25.

I dropped her off back at my grandma's and went home so I could pack my bag for tonight, we always get ready at the club. I took a shower after, I finished packing and did my routine, once I was done I locked up the place and off to work I went.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author note:

Please vote and leave ideas in the comments I will look at them and credit you if I use them.

hope you enjoy the first chapter👍!!!