Chapter 50 // Old Habits Come Around

The second and final portion of the exam, the rescue maneuvers, went smooth for you. You worked efficiently and played it smart, which you knew would boost your final score. You knew you probably got some points marked off for how you acted in the first part of the test, so you needed to rack up more in the second half.

After changing back into your normal clothes like Mera had instructed when the exam ended, you headed back to the arena and found Bakugo as you waited for those who passed to be displayed on the screen.

The names were displayed in alphabetical order, so you were quickly able to find yours. You passed. However, when your eyes traveled up toward the beginning of the list, your developing happiness faded. Bakugo's name wasn't listed.

You turned to find him staring at the screen with a hardened expression and eyes filled with fiery. You reached over and cupped your hands over his balled fist.

"There's a make-up exam," you stated. "You can always re-take it."

A paper was suddenly shoved in your face, and you took it as the man who gave it to you moved to give Bakugo a similar one before moving on.

You looked down at the paper. It had details of your performance and your score. Your final score was a 73. They docked points for the moments you were just sitting around doing nothing, and they took off a few due to your inability to tame your emotions at some moments, but they gave you a good amount of point for defense and strategies. Plus, your efficiency during the rescue portion gave you some much needed points.

"For those of you who fell below fifty and didn't pass," Mera began after giving everyone time to review their sheets, "we will be giving you a chance to redeem yourself. After completing a three month long course and passing an individual test, you will be issued a provisional hero license."

"See," you nudged Bakugo. "You can take it again."

Bakugo didn't reply. He simply kept staring at the sheet in his hands, which had more negative feedback than positive.

"Bakugo," you began while placing your hand over the paper, which forced him to look up at you. His lips were pursed in frustration, and his brows were furrowed in anger.

"You can take it again, and you'll pass. There's nothing you can do about it now," you continued, "and you're not the only one who failed. Todoroki and Inasa didn't pass either."

"Yeah, whatever..." he mumbled. You decided not to push him any further and settled with de-balling his fist to intertwine your fingers with his.

¥¥¥

You entered your dorm room with a small sigh as dropped your bag on the ground and tossed your provisional hero license, which you had been given before you left the stadium, on the bare desk in the corner of the room.

The school had provided you with a bed, nightstand, and desk, but, other than that, the room was yours to decorate.

Several boxes and a few bags filled with your belongings, which your parents had dropped off long ago, laid on your bed.

You were too tired to unpack everything at the moment, so you opted on just moving everything to the floor so you could go to bed. However, as you were doing so, a knock sounded at your door.

"One sec!" you yelled to who you assumed was one of your classmates as you set the box in your hands on the floor and pushed it up against the wall.

You rushed to answer the door, and, when you pulled it open, you were shocked to see who was standing on the other side.

Part of you expected Mina as she had been talking on the ride home about gathering everyone for a small celebration in the lounge.

Part of you expected Bakugo. You suspected his sleeping habits may still be the same as they were a few months prior, and he needed you to fall asleep just as you often needed him.