Chapter 71 // Hope

You stared at the TV hung on the padded wall in front of you as you fiddled with the remote in your left hand. Your right arm rested on the back of the chair you sat in, your body slouched to the side as you watched footage from a festival that had supposedly happened earlier in the year.

You were told to simply watch and only ever pause or rewind when you saw something of interest or that may bring back any memories, but, so far, what you were watching simply seemed like a bad hallmark movie that you didn't remember starring in.

You glanced at the mirror beside the door, which you were aware was two-way. You weren't stupid. You just wondered who stood on the other side of it.

Looking back at the TV, your eyes fell upon a scene that, once again, you didn't remember and didn't feel any need to. You fell no pull or spark.

You felt an immense pressure on your shoulders. Everyone was pushing, expecting you to get your memory back, but that wasn't going to happen. It didn't matter what people told you or what you saw. You weren't going to remember anything any time soon.

You threw the remote aside, which clattered against the metal table in front of you, and looked toward the two-way mirror with a sigh.

"Is Bakugo here?"

Static rose from somewhere in the room, and an unfamiliar voice said, "all of your previous classmates have been restricted from seeing you for now. The only people here to are Eraserhead and your parents. Would you like to see any of them?"

You didn't know how to feel about the fact that your parents were present. You weren't necessarily scared to talk to them, but you knew you'd feel bad once you did.

You didn't remember them. You didn't know what they looked like or how their voices sounded. You knew you wouldn't feel any type of relief wash over you when you saw them. You knew they'd most likely break down in tears upon seeing you after who knows how long, but you also knew your lack of emotion would hurt them even more.

"Aizawa," you eventually answered.

The door opened moments later, and Aizawa walked in wearing civilian clothing. He closed the door behind him before walking over and sitting across from you.

"Anything?" he asked, referring to your memory.

"No," you sighed. "Look, I don't know what you guys want from me. Nothing has happened. I don't remember anything or anyone, and I'm sure as hell if you send my parents in here, things will just get worse. They're gonna think I'm some kind of...machine. They're gonna be balling their eyes out while I'm sitting here like a serial killer."

"I know it feels like you've made no progress, but that's not the case," Aizawa said. "You've felt a pull toward Bakugo. I know you have. That's why you asked for him first, isn't it?"

You pressed your tongue to roof of your mouth and leaned back in your chair, not feeling the need to say an answer he already knew was true.

"Just because you don't remember any of what's happened in your life before a few weeks ago doesn't mean it didn't happen," he continued. "Deep down, you still feel a pull towards the people and things that were once important to you. That's something."

"Is that why I feel a pull toward you?" you asked, and Aizawa pursed his lips, falling silent. "Is that wrong?" you questioned further. "Is it wrong that I feel more of a pull toward you than my own parents? Is it wrong that I feel more attached to some kid who claims to have been my boyfriend than my own family?"

"You're around your teachers and classmates more hours of the day than you are your parents," Aizawa explained. "It's expected that you feel drawn toward us more."