Chapter 22

A choked sound left Sakura's mouth as she stared, wide-eyed, at the blade Obito held embedded in her stomach. The pain was so great that she struggled to comprehend it.

"I meant it when I said I hadn't wished for things to end this way. If only you were less observant or a better actress."

Trembling hands lifted to encircle his hand around the knife's hilt, her nails digging into his skin as the woman tried to inhale.

"You know you'll bleed out faster if I take it out. Is that what you want? You might not live long enough to see Madara die."

Sakura's teeth gritted at the mention of her downed boyfriend, fire igniting within her veins as the rage finally snapped. With strength even she was surprised by, the woman tore the knife from her abdomen and Obito's hand before swiftly reaching behind her in a stabbing motion. The blade punctured the man's shoulder so she could slip from his grasp.

Stumbling forward and turning to face her foe, Sakura kept as firm a grip as possible on the bloody weapon. The stab wound on her midsection was bleeding heavily, and her free hand pressing against it did little to change that.

"Color me impressed. Here, I thought you'd be in too much pain to move." Obito pointed the gun he'd taken at her, using his uninjured arm, "If you want to say goodbye to Madara, I won't shoot you. Go ahead. You're dying anyway."

'He's right. If paramedics aren't called in the next few minutes, I'll die.' The green-eyed young woman's body was positively vibrating with agonizing pain, but it was nothing compared to the hatred fueling her forward, 'If I'm dying anyway, I'll protect Madara. I'll take this bastard out with me.'

With that thought in mind, Sakura lunged forward, dashing to the right instantly to successfully dodge the surprised gunshot the dangerous man before her took. Then, she tackled him to the ground, bringing the knife down toward his face with all her might. Obito dropped the gun and grabbed her forearm just in time for the blade not to touch.

Through gritted teeth, he said, "You're just as crazy as the rumors say."

Blood, tasting of iron, met the woman's throat and then her tongue as she struggled to overpower the man, shaking heavily as her life force poured from her stomach wound onto him. Tears dripped down her cheeks and nose to land on his face as she panted for breath.

Obito looked genuinely surprised by her efforts, but it still wasn't enough. In a blink, she was on her back, and he was holding the quickly stolen knife to her neck, "Quit being stubborn and pass out already. I haven't seen someone struggle this much in years."

Sakura choked on the blood rising in her throat, the deep red substance dripping down the sides of her face from the corners of her mouth as she glared at her attacker. Her voice was hoarse and hardly understandable, but she still said, "Fuck you."

The edges of her vision had already become blurry. It wouldn't be long before she'd faint.

Just as the woman was about to accept her fate, a large hand grabbed Obito's jaw, another landing atop his head. Then, his neck was snapped in an instant, and he fell sideways off of her body. Behind him knelt a heavily sedated Madara, fighting tooth and nail to remain upright.

'How'd he come out of it so quickly? It's barely been five minutes!'

"Sakura, Baby, tell me what to do," his voice was surprisingly calm, as was his face, but the terror in his eyes was undeniable.

~

The woman on the floor looked like a corpse the moment he laid eyes on her. When he woke, he heard her curse Tobi, or Obito, so he thought she was fine, but that was not the case.