Chapter 24

Hey guys! I am back from my short-term hiatus!

If I'm being honest, I didn't get much relaxation in, but I said I'd be back by the end of October, and that time has arrived!

My goal is to post at least one chapter a week, but I swear to at least do one every two weeks if things get busy like they did before.

Thank you for the reassuring words and encouragement. As someone who's suffered from a pretty severe anxiety/panic disorder for years, it means a lot to have support, even if it is from strangers on the internet!

Anyway, here's the next chapter. I hope you enjoy it!

Sakura rested against Madara's chest, lying on her side in a way that wouldn't disturb her healing injury. The Uchiha man was asleep. She should be, too, since it's almost four in the morning, but she woke up a while ago and became enthralled by his unguarded face.

Beautiful.

He was godly.

Dark lashes brushed against tan skin. Usually-frowning lips were relaxed, as was his brow.

It's been two days since she woke up and was caught up on the situation. A green-haired man with pale skin and odd, yellow eyes named Zetsu primarily checked on the woman. He'd been present when Madara woke at the foot of the bed to see the pinkette awake. She saw overwhelming relief clearly in his eyes, though he held back any visceral reaction until they were alone.

'I can't believe he almost cried right in front of me.' The grieved, self-hating expression he constantly dons now makes her uncomfortable. 'It's because he blames himself for all this.'

In truth, none of this would've happened if he wasn't with her, but what he doesn't understand is that Sakura knew there were life-threatening risks when she asked him to stay. That night, after the incident at Danzo's mansion, when Sakura pretty much begged him not to disappear, she knew her safety was a gamble. Sure, Madara's incredibly strong, dangerous, and capable, but he's still a human being. There will always be obstacles because of their differing backgrounds, but the woman saw it as a worthy risk.

She ran a hand up Madara's chest at a measured pace, feeling his warmth beneath her palm.

'...I love him.' It's all she could think.

Sakura knew she should focus on how to earn the money they owe Akatsuki more quickly, but she can't help it. The Uchiha almost died right in front of her by Obito's hand. Upon realizing that and the fact that her own death was imminent, the girl had no second thoughts about sacrificing herself if it meant he'd live.

She lifted her palm to his neck, feeling the steady rhythm of his pulse. It was comforting, so she often did it, even when they were still in Konoha. Madara didn't seem to mind. Slowly, his eyes crept open to meet hers. For a millisecond, they were warm and adoring before the man obviously recalled their predicament, and they became guarded and almost tearful.

He tried to mask it, though, and sleepily kissed her, brushing his nose against hers before relaxing on the pillow again, "Can't sleep? Does it hurt?"

The woman shook her head. The painkillers they were feeding her were strong, so there was little discomfort. She blinked back her own tears while searching his handsome face, "I'm sorry."

'If I'd only trusted my gut sooner, we would've been able to subdue Obito before he ever realized we knew his identity.'

"You've done nothing wrong," Madara spoke softly, his tone becoming emotionally lower, "I'm sorry for being so fucking blind. I trusted someone I knew nothing about."