Chapter 35: Don't Ever Leave Me

Lilith runs into his arms, sobbing at the realisation that her Uncle Barty was here. He wraps his arms around her tightly, the both of them afraid to let the other go. Draco watches the scene with a big smile on his face, he knows how much her uncle means to her. All he wants to do is go over and comfort her but he knows she needs this time to just be with him.  

Barty leans back a little, wiping his thumb over her cheek, "Don't cry, angel. I want to see those beautiful eyes".

She wipes her eyes, trying to stop her rivering tears, "I...I just...I can't b-believe that you...you're actually here". She buries her head in his chest, "I've missed you so much. Why did you leave me?".  

He sniffs, "I'm so sorry, angel, I never wanted to leave. But...after Regulus died I...I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get away to process what had happened". He smiles, "You've gotten so big. I didn't realise how much time had passed or I would have returned years ago".  

Lilith smiles up at him and turns to her grandfather.

She runs into his arms, "Thank you so much, grandpa. This is the best surprise ever".

Tom smiles, "I'm glad, sweetheart".

She breaks the hug and wipes her tears, "Where did you find him?".

Barty walks over, "Actually, it was me who found your grandfather. I'd heard so much about the infamous Daughter of the Dungeon Bat and...that was enough to snap me out of whatever trance I put myself in".

Severus sighs, "I hate you for starting that nickname".  

Barty smirks and leans over to Lilith, "That's not the only name I have for your father. I'll give you the list later".  

She giggles and asks, "Are you staying here for the break?".

He nods, "You bet I am. And I'm not going anywhere. I promise you, angel, I will never leave you ever again".

She gives him a hug, "I have so much to tell you, Uncle Barty". She leans back, "But first I need to know. Why did you leave?".

He sighs and turns to Severus, "You'll explain it much better than I can". He turns back to Lilith, "My memory of that period is starting to fail me, unfortunately".  

She turns to her father, who had a sombre look on his face, "Daddy?".

Severus holds her arm, "Maybe we should go to the living room for this".  

The group all migrate to the living room. Lucius, Narcissa and Draco on one of the long couches. Lilith, Barty and Severus on the other, while Tom sits on the single couch.  

Severus explains, "Baby, I'm not sure how much you remember from the time when your Uncle Regulus passed, I mean you were barely three years old. I had gotten word from Dumbledore that he was attempting to hunt down your grandfather's Horcruxes. We managed to collect the diary and the ring, before he discovered the location of Salazar's locket. Regulus decided to go and retrieve it himself before the old man could get to it. He managed to hide it somewhere else before returning to the location to get rid of the proof and set a trap".

Lilith nods, "And...that's when he was killed".  

Tom sighs, "The old man is vigilant. He didn't want anyone else to claim them so he took every measure to make sure of it. Unfortunately, Regulus got caught in the crossfire".

Barty tears up, "I could have stopped him". Lilith wraps her arms around him, "It should have been me who went instead of him. I had so many opportunities and did nothing. It's my fault that he's gone".  

Lucius shakes his head, "For the thousandth time, it is not your fault. You know better than anyone how stubborn Regulus was. Unless Lilith was the one who asked him, there was no changing his mind".  

Lilith smiles up at Barty, "I would never blame you for that. You can stay here as long as you want". She smirks and tilts her head, "As long as you promise to give me blackmail material on daddy and Uncle Lucius".

Barty smirks, "Trust me, angel, I got the dirt on everyone".  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: 

And that's a wrap on third year. As always, thank you all so much for the continued support on this series. I will be taking a short break from this book as we prepare for fourth year. And trust me, I have some very special plans brewing. Hehe. 

I love reading all your comments so keep them coming 🙂

I will continue fourth year in this book in a few weeks. Years 5, 6 & 7 will be in Book 3. Also, if aynone has any ideas on what I can name the sequels, I would love to hear them. I don't just want to add 'Book 2' or 'Book 3' at the end with the same title. 

I've been trying to come up with something but no luck so far. I will credit the person in the description of the book as well as in the next chapter. 

See you guys soon!