Chapter 44: Make Them Pay

Lilith was laying in bed, resting and finally pain-free. Narcissa had discovered that the impact of the tree caused her to have a bruised rib, both her and Draco were also confirmed to have a mild concussion. They were given some pain-reliever potions and calming draughts to help them sleep.

Draco, despite his objections, was forced to sleep in his own bedroom. The case was made that they each needed their own space for their magic to help them heal. Especially with Lilith's bruised rib, which in and of itself will take a few weeks to fully heal.

Severus was sitting by her bedside, holding her hand as she sleeps peacefully. He doesn't break his gaze as the bedroom door opens, and footsteps come closer from behind him.

He feels a hand on his shoulder, "She'll be ok, son".

Severus sighs, "My baby girl was in pain...and begged me to take it away". He starts to tear up, "T-the fear in h-her eyes was haunting, father".

Tom nods and walks around, kneeling in front of him, "I know that more than anyone. The worst feeling as a parent is seeing your child suffering...". He grabs his free hand, "...and not knowing how to take away their pain. And I am so proud of you for how you handled yourself".

"She's...she's going to have to take pain relievers for a while...Barty's gone to find the best healing salve for her. She even needs to be careful about using her magic but...". He laughs, wiping away his tears, "...knowing my daughter, she'll want to make a point".

Tom smiles, "She's a very strong girl, Sev, and she has an amazing support system with her at all times".

The bedroom door opens and Barty walks in holding a small jar filled with a thick green substance.

He walks over and hands it to Severus, "Here. I found some Star Grass Salve in the lab".

Severus takes it and places it on the side table, "Thank you. We'll give it to her in the morning".

Barty sighs and leans on the wall, "How is she?".

Tom responds, "She's not in pain anymore, that's the important part. Her injuries should fully heal in a couple of weeks".

"And you seriously expect her to go to school like this?".

Severus shakes his head, "We don't have a choice. The Board would never give her time off for something like this".

Barty huffs, "That's absurd, she had internal injuries-".

"From a large scale attack. I highly doubt they'd give more than half the school time off".

He sighs and turns to Tom, "Did you at least find out who did this to them?".

"Draco gave me a brief description but it's not much to go off of. Once they're in better health, I'll get memories from them and finally punish who hurt my grand-daughter".

Barty smirks, "Well, when you do find them, I wanna have a little play".

Severus laughs, "Don't worry. I'm sure there's a line of people wanting to have a go".

Tom nods, "We have a week before they have to go back to school. Until then, Narcissa has advised that they stay on bedrest. Especially Lilith. They can be with each other during the day but have to sleep separately".

Lilith stirs in her sleep, a slight pained look on her face. Severus grabs her hand with both of his and sends her some of his magic. Her expression softens and her breath evens.

He gently pushes some hair off her face and whispers, "Don't worry, baby girl. We'll find who did this to you".