Chapter 5: Dementors

The twins look at her shocked, "Dementors?!".

She swipes her hand at them, "Shh. Yes, dementors".

"Are you sure?".  

She nods and grabs a book from her bag, "Completely. Not only because of their obvious appearance but also the sudden cold". She turns the pages of the book and finds the chapter that she needs, "Here". The boys lean in as she reads, "Dementors seem to suck all the light and happiness from the air and cause darkness to close in everywhere, causing the victim to feel incredibly cold. Due to them being blind, Dementors rely fully on their ability to sense emotion and physical and/or mental health to track the movements of the prisoners in their care, and are generally unable to distinguish one person from another if both were in similar physical or mental condition".  

Draco sighs, "It definitely seemed like they were looking for someone. Whoever it was, thankfully wasn't in the same state as us or...".

They all look at each other, knowing exactly what Draco was implying. They didn't want to even think about what could have happened.  

The lights suddenly came back on and the train started up again. The four were now on edge. Definitely not how they wanted to start the year off.  

Lilith and Draco were now sitting in the Great Hall with their friends and fellow Slytherins. Everyone seemed to be on edge from the incident on the train. The only one who wasn't was Dumbeldore. Shocker, I know.  

He stands and announces to the hall, "Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts. I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled with our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups...".

Blaise scoffs, "Is he bloody serious?".

Theo laughs, "He's gone absolutely bonkers".  

Dumbledore continues, "First, I am pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor".

Students clap and Draco whispers, "He needs to get better hiring practices".

Lilith smirks as Dumbledore quiets the room, " As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!".

They clap again and Pansy remarks, "I'm gonna end up falling asleep".  

"Finally, on a more disquieting note, Hogwarts -- at the request of the Ministry of Magic -- will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban".

All the students cause an uproar. He couldn't actually be serious...right?  

"The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the grounds. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving".

After eating dinner, the students exit the hall and head towards their respective common rooms. When they are inside the Slytherin common room, the friend group sit on the couches and reminisce.

Lilith shakes her head, "This is absolute blasphemy. He really expects us to act normal when we're guarded by Dementors as if we are the ones in Azkaban".

Theo scoffs, "This is all because of Black. Dumbledore's scared he'll come back and completely overreacted. What are we supposed to do?".

They hear a voice from behind them, "I share your concerns, Mr Nott".  

They turn around and see their head of house, sharing their look of concern.

Lilith sighs, "Daddy, there's no way this is actually allowed, right?".

Severus sighs, "Unfortunately, sweetheart, this was his own decision. Apparently it was granted by the Ministry but your father...". He looks towards Draco, "...as yet to confirm this".

Daphne asks, "Is it really because of Sirius Black escaping?".

"We believe so. I see no other reason to allow the Dementors to roam around. Speaking of...". He leans in front of his daughter and godson, "...are you two alright? Considering what happened on the train?".

They nod and Draco answers, "We're alright. We were sitting with the twins when one of the Dementors passed our room".  

He nods and holds their cheek in each one of his hands, "As long as you're ok".