Chapter 4: A Cold Train Ride

Lilith and Draco were walking together on Platform 9¾, heading towards the train. Lucius and Severus were walking behind them, having their own discussion. The other students around them seemed to be whispering to each other and some of the parents seemed more timid than previous years.  

She turns her head back, "Daddy, what's with the atmosphere?".

He sighs, "With the news that Black escaped, more parents are more paranoid about their children leaving".

Lucius continues, "But we know that you two are more than capable of protecting yourselves so we're not exactly worried about Black and neither should you".

She nods, "I'm sure Dumbledore will make some speech about the school being the safest place for us right now, or something".

Draco smiles, "If anything, the Chamber would be the safest".  

She laughs as they make it in front of the train. They say goodbye to Lucius and the three head inside to find a compartment. Severus heads towards the teacher's compartment, while Lilith and Draco try to find an empty one.

They open a compartment door and see someone leaning against the window, with their jacket over their head. Based on their breathing, they guessed they were sleeping.

Lilith whispers, "Let's find somewhere else".  

Draco nods and they close the door, looking for another place. They see the two redheads enter a compartment and start speeding up their pace.  

Opening the door, Lilith smirks, "You guys are on time for once".

They smile at their friends, "It's not an accident dear Lilith" "We snuck out of the house" "No one noticed" "Though we couldn't care less".

They sit in front of the twins, the four telling stories from their holidays.

The twins hand them a photo, "Our family won a trip to Egypt" "Decided to visit our older brother Bill" "We tried to shut Percy in a pyramid" "But mum spotted us".

Lilith laughs, "I can't imagine he was particularly happy with that either".  

They shake their heads, "He definitely wasn't".

She smiles, "Well, I don't expect anything else from my favourite twins".

They laugh together, just enjoying each other's company. Seemingly out of nowhere, the train violently shakes. Draco holds onto Lilith and the twins fall on each other. The lights flicker and the trains come to a stop.  

Draco whispers, "What the hell was that? Why have we stopped?".

Lilith shakes her head, "I don't know".

George decided to stick his head out the compartment door, "I don't see anything".

The train car sways and Fred pulls his brother back onto the seat, closing the door. All the lamps in the carriage start to flicker and then...they go out. The four look at each other scared. Lilith grabs onto Draco's arm, the two moving closer.

Fred asks, "Did it get cold all of a sudden?".

Lilith looks over, noticing the wisps of steam escaping his mouth as he spoke. A dark silhouette passes their compartment, the condensation on the windows suddenly turning to ice. The temperature in the train has dropped significantly.

Lilith whispers, "Did someone get aboard the train?".  

Her question was answered when a dark figure slowly passed the door. The figure was cloaked and hovering above the ground. It was looking back and forth between the compartments, almost like it was looking for someone. As it passed, their compartment became even more cold than before, the windows and door being covered in ice.

They all held their breath as it passed. When it completely passed, they all let out a sigh of relief. Lilith and Draco lay their head on each other.

Draco whispers, "You do realise what that was right, Lia?".

She shakily nods her head and looks at him, "Dementors".