Chapter 16: Breach in the System

Lilith stares at Neville in shock, "What?!".

Blaise asks, "Are you sure?".

Neville nods, "Yes. Several of the portraits saw him. There's no doubt. Sirius Black was in the castle and slashed a portrait. Who knows what else he'll do".  

Draco shakes his head, "I...How could Dumbledore allow this to happen? He's constantly bragging about Hogwarts being the safest place on Earth and this happens under his nose?".

Lilith sighs, "Apparently. One more reason the old man has gone senile. If it wasn't for daddy working here, I'd have gone to a different school".

Daphne asks, "Well, what should we do, Lilith?".

She turns to Neville, "I assume Dumbledore has been informed of this?".

He nods, "He has Filch securing the castle and ordered us to retreat to the Great Hall. I managed to sneak away and ran straight here". 

Blaise shakes his head, "How is the Great Hall more secure than our common rooms? They couldn't have split you guys up between the other three?".

"I...I don't know. All I know is that Sirius Black managed to sneak into the school...past the dementors and...". He sighs and sits on the couch, "...I don't wanna think about what could have happened if we were inside".  

Blaise sits next to him and wraps his arm around his shoulder, "You don't need to worry your pretty little head about that. I meant what I said before...nothing is going to hurt you as long as we have something to say about it".  

Neville looked at him and smiled, leaning his head on his shoulder. He closes his eyes, and tries to calm his mind. By this point, most of the Slytherins are in their dorms, the only ones left being Lilith's friendship group and the two Prefects.  

Lilith was pacing back and forth, rubbing her temples and trying to figure everything out. Draco could see how much this was affecting her and knew he needed to talk to her.

He turns to Blaise and whispers, "Head upstairs. Neville's staying with us".

Blaise looks towards Lilith and nods to Draco, knowing the reason for him asking. He stands and leads Neville up to his dorm, the others following him.  

Draco sighs and turns to his best friend, "Lia? You ok?".

She drops her hands and turns to him abruptly, "I don't understand. How could Black get past the dementors? Grandpa assured me that nothing can get even close to them. He was a student here so maybe he knows some secret passage but still. Daddy hasn't told us anything and neither has Uncle Lucius so obviously no one saw him even though there are portraits bloody everywhere. Now our friend is freaking out and in danger so Dumbledore decided to put them in the most public area of this bloody school to try and protect them. Plus-".  

He grabs her shoulders, "Woah, woah, woah, woah. Lilith. Lilith. Breathe. Breathe. It's ok. Calm down".

She sighs and closes her eyes, her hands covering her eyes and allowing Draco to wrap his arms around her. He lets her lean on him and catch her breath.  

He calls out, "Salazar!".

His voice echoes in the common room, "Yes, my boy?".

"Get Severus. His daughter needs him".