Chapter 18

Camila was excited today was Lauren's birthday. She carefully climbed out of bed she had ten mins to get Henry before he burst in here and she couldn't get things ready. This morning was family time and tonight was adult time Camila was excited for both. Camila pulled on her sweats and crept out the bedroom. She opened the door to Henry's room and walked up to his bed. He started to shuffle "Right today is Lolo's birthday, so we need to make it special we have to be quiet, so we don't wake her until we have made breakfast," she said.

She held her finger to her lip as she scooped him up and headed downstairs. She sat him on one of the stools and placed some crayons and paper in front of him. "Why don't you draw a nice picture for Lolo," Camila said. "Mummy has to make breakfast, and if I make a mess, Lolo will be moody on her birthday.

Camila was keeping it simple, just a bowl of fruit and some toast. With Henry busy, she got the fruit out to cut up. She put some on a separate plate for Henry and placed it near him. She put it in a bowl and poured some yoghurt on top. This was the first time she had ever done anything like this for anyone. She heard some noise "Shit" she said Lauren was getting up and she wasn't ready.

She cringed as Henry shouted "Shit, shit" several times.

"Henry don't say that mummy said a naughty word," Camila said. "Help mummy go sit on Lolo, so she doesn't get up, go on dude."

She helped him down off the stool "Shit" he shouted again as he ran off upstairs. Camila shook her head she was going to pay for that slip if Lauren heard. She popped some bread in the toaster and put the rest on a tray with some juice. Damn this was stressful as she grabbed the cards and presents and put them on the tray too.

"Camz, what are you doing?" Lauren shouted from upstairs.

"I will be up in a few minutes" she shouted back as the toast popped. She quickly buttered it and placed it on the plate. She collected everything together, including Henry's fruit, so he didn't eat Lauren's. She grabbed the flowers she had bought and placed them on the tray. She looked around that seemed to be everything. Camila picked up the tray and carefully carried it upstairs.

She walked into the bedroom to the sight of Henry literally sitting on Lauren's back as she lay face down on the bed. "Camz, why is Henry sat on my back cursing, and I presume he got that word from you!" Lauren mumbled.

"Uhm, Happy birthday babe and yes sorry it slipped out," Camila said red-faced. "He takes things very literally when I asked him to keep you up here, say happy birthday, Henry."

"Today is going to be sunny with a ten per cent chance of rain" Henry shouted.

"Ok then" Camila laughed as she put the tray down on the bed and lifted Henry off Lauren. "Nice work now you can sit on the bed," she said.

Lauren turned over and sat up smiling "Well it's never a dull moment," she said. Camila lifted the tray over and placed it on Lauren's lap.

She kissed Lauren "you reconsidering us moving in yet?" Camila asked.

"Never" Lauren replied as she kissed Camila back and a pair of small arms wrapped around their necks and he pushed his face between theirs. They both laughed and kissed him on the cheek.

"One minute I forgot the cake," Camila said as she dashed off down the stairs. Lauren opened her cards while Camila was gone as she hugged Henry. There was one from her parents with a cheque in it from her dad he was so sweet he always sent her one. Then she opened Henry's card he had made himself, and it brought a lump to her throat when he had written his name in it.

"You're such a clever boy," Lauren said. This was so different from last year when she had quickly glanced at her cards as she had headed off to work; it had been no different from any other day, now she felt special and loved. Camila appeared back in the bedroom with a cake and a lit candle in it.