Introduction

"Alex!" My algebra teacher yelled. "Yes sir!" I said, jolting awake. "Why are you sleeping during my class?" He asked. "I-umm-well..... I don't know what you're talking about." I replied, playing dumb, the whole class erupting in giggles. "Uh-huh, totally. Principal's office. Now." I stood up with a nod and grabbed my backpack, taking the walk of shame out of class, as I walked through the hall staring at the blank white walls. I felt alone and tired of everything, but that was nothing new.

Walking into the office I'm greeted by a very familiar face, Mrs. Davis, a sweet older woman who was nothing but nice to everyone. "You can go right in, she's right in her office." She said sweetly, referring to Principal Perez. "Thanks." I said, with a slight smile. I gently knocked on the door anyway, just to be polite. 

"Come in." I heard through the door. "Ah, Alex, I shouldn't be surprised." She said, with a small teasing smile, as I walked in. "What'd you do this time?" She asked. "Sleep." I replied shortly as I sat down across from her. "Okay? Why?" I gave her a weird look. "Because I'm tired?" I said. She smiled lightly before giving me a concerned look. "Do you want to talk about it?" I sighed. "Not really." She nodded. "That's okay, how has your week been?" She asked. I just shrugged, causing her to let out a small sigh and look at the time. "Well, you better get to lunch. You don't wanna be late, and don't be causing any more trouble, you got that Crawford." She said, with a teasing grin. I just stood with a slight smile and left for lunch.

I sat on the enclosed school rooftop, watching the clouds pass by, eating lunch in peace. Just as I was about to stand, I heard a creepy little giggle from the roof door, before it opened revealing a young girl. She turned and saw me before smiling widely. "Hi, I'm Riley!" She said excitedly. "Hi? Why are you up here?" I asked. "I could ask you the same thing." She said with a grin. " Fair, but you're definitely not a high schooler." I stated the obvious. "You're right, I'm not, But I am in elementary school!" She sassily said with her hands on her hips. I opened my mouth to speak- "What's your name?" She asked, interrupting me. I sighed. "Alex. My name's Alex." I replied. She made a thinking face, before her eyes lit up. "I'll call you Lex!" I nodded. "Okay, you got to go back to your class or whatever. Unfortunately, I can't just leave you up here." I said. "Fine, but you have to come with me." She replied pouting. I just rolled my eyes and walked with her through the door.