Chapter 2

The next morning I'm awoken by the sound of my blaring alarm. I roll over in bed to read the time; 5:00. Great, just what I enjoy most, waking up at 5am on a saturday morning, lovely. With a sigh, I make my way to the bathroom to do my business. After, I throw my boxers and sports bra on, I walk to the kitchen to get a quick snack for breakfast. Once I've finished my morning routine, and finished getting dressed in my work attire, I make my way to work.

The morning rush finally ended, I sigh as I lightly hit my head against the counter. It being 11 o'clock I only had half an hour left before my co-worker comes to take the afternoon shift, and I can finally leave. There currently wasn't anyone in the shop other than me, so I kept my head resting on the counter deciding to stay like that until motivation strikes. Which lately seems to be never, not that I'm good at anything anyway. In my haze of self deprecation I don't hear the door ding.

"Not having fun?" I hear as I jolt up, "Holy Shit" I exclaim with my hand on my chest. "You scared the fuck out of me Ms. Perez." I say looking at her. She smiles saying "I'm sorry, you seem exhausted. Also, call me Eliana outside of school. Ms, makes me feel old." I just nod, "It's okay, I just didn't hear you come in. Nor did I exactly expect to see you, Ms..-Eliana." I reply, internally face palming over the last part. What, she can't go to a coffee shop, Alex? Dumbass. "Oh, did you not want to see me?" She retorts with a playful smile. "Y-yes I mean no, wait... I.. It's n-not that I didn't want to see you... I just..- sorry." She gives a cute giggle at my rambling. "Don't worry Alex, I get it, you just really wanted to see me." She teases, while I turn pink. "I'm kidding. I just came here to get a coffee, and.... I also came to talk to you." She says more seriously.

I nod slowly, I feel myself start to close off a little wondering what she'd want to talk about that's serious enough to come to my work. "I just-.... When does your shift end?" She asks. I pull my phone out to check the time. "Um, right now actually." I reply, "Did you want me to make you that coffee before I clock out?" I ask before she has a chance to say anything. "Sure, that'd be great, thank you." She replies. Eliana precedes to tell me how she takes her coffee, which I make a mental note of. I throw it together, hand it to her and take five dollars out of my wallet and put it in the register. Before she can scold me for it, I rush to the back, clock out, grab my backpack with my spare clothes and other personal items in it and walk back out to the front, stopping next to Eliana.

"I'm gonna go to the restroom to change real quick, then I'm all yours." I say as I watch her cheeks go slightly pink at the last bit. Hmm weird. She nods, fixing her expression. I walk to the restroom, lock the door and change into some casual clothes:

"Okay, where are you taking me?" I say walking out of the restroom and towards the door, her following behind

"Okay, where are you taking me?" I say walking out of the restroom and towards the door, her following behind. "Let's just take a walk." She says. That walk led us nearly half way across town, talking about random things completely unrelated to what she intended too. Which is why I'm currently laying down on a random ass park bench I've never been to in my life with Eliana standing over me, with her arms crossed. "It wasn't even that far, you can't be that tired." She says with a raised brow.

"Hey" I exclaim, pointing an accusatory finger, jokingly. "You don't get to judge me for my lack of athleticism." With that Elianas face breaks into a smile, before it gets snuffed out by her next thought. "Okay scootch over..... We still have to talk." At that I sit up and make room, "What exactly did you want to talk about anyway?" I ask. She sighs, "Alex, I know you don't like talking about stuff, but I've known you since you were in tenth grade. And I don't want to pry but- I'm worried, Alex. I just want you to know that I'm here if you want to talk, I want what's best for you and seeing you miserable at times- I-I, please just tell me it's not as bad as before." I looked down, breathing air out slowly. "I'm fine Eliana, I promise. I'm just tired a lot. Besides, it hasn't been that bad since then. No panic attacks, no bad thoughts. I'm okay." I say both to myself and her.

She rests her hand on mine for a moment as we sit in a comfortable silence for a few minutes. Once she moves away, I stand and offer her a hand up. On the walk back to the coffee shop where we left our cars, I ask "So, where's Riley?" She looks up at me, "She's with my parents, she wanted a special day with her grandparents. Who am I to refuse that cute face?" I smile at her, "If you don't mind me asking, and you can just tell me to fuck off if you want, but where's her father?" I ask. She shakes her head with a laugh.

"Um I don't mind. Her father wasn't intended to be such so to speak and didn't want to be either. I tracked the guy down, told him about it, he wanted nothing to do with her." She says lightly. "I'm sorry." I reply somberly. She just smiles and shakes her head saying, "No, no it's okay. We're happy, she's happy, Of course I wish she had another parent to rely on, but she's very loved by the family she does have." I nod. "Well if it means anything, that guy is a complete idiot for giving up the opportunity to know that sweet, funny little girl and her awesome, wonderful mom." I say emphasizing the word wonderful making her chuckle slightly. "That's sweet, thank you." She says as we approach her car in the parking lot.

"Well I guess this is our stop. It was lovely talking to you. See you at school Ms. Perez." I say with a wink, walking backwards towards my car. She playfully glares at me, "Goodbye Crawford." She says, before turning and getting in her car. I get in my car and pull out of the parking lot after her, heading back to my apartment to chill for the day.