Chapter 12: Marvel Birthday Bash

February 18th, 2023

POV: Lizzie

Scarlett, Colin, and the kids arrived early this morning, just as AJ was headed into work for a half day of training. Pretty sure the coaching staff just wanted to celebrate his birthday a little bit. Plus he was leading a few of the players back to the house for the party. Colin had put the kids into the guest bedroom to sleep a bit more. Scarlett and I worked on the food, with Colin overseeing the BBQ and smoker that we had set up in the backyard. AJ had already started the ribs and wings in the smoker early this morning so they would be done by mid afternoon.

It took a few hours, but AJ was back just before noon, just in time for Colin to start pulling the meat from the smoker. He walked in, with Aubrey on his arm, the two laughing and joking back and forth.

"Hello my love, I found your wife on the doorstep... Figured I would let her in." He joked softly, pulling me into a kiss.

"How was training?" I asked, sinking into his arms. This right here, being in his arms, was my safety. I absolutely loved the feeling of his arms around me.

"I got doused in Gatorade and confetti. I'm just glad I had my training gear on, because I would still be sticky if I didn't have these to change into."

I looked him up and down, smirking softly at the gray sweatpants and ACFC hoodie he was now sporting. "Remind me to thank them..." I whispered in his ear, my hands slipping up the back of his hoodie to touch the bare skin below; completely forgetting that there were other people in the room.

"OK.... GROSS." Scarlett said as she pulled me away from him. "Can you two NOT make out in the middle of the kitchen..."

"But it's OUR kitchen..." AJ argued back, crossing his arms across his chest.

"Nope... stop that or I will take a hose to you." She arched her eyebrow and AJ instantly stopped talking. I could see the look on his face, it was one he made when I tilted my head at him, which had me laughing softly.

"Yes Ma'am." He said, putting his hands into his hoodie pocket. He turned to face me once more and smiled softly. "Do you need me for anything or can I go upstairs and change?"

"Colin has the smoker taken care of, so you should be good." Scar spoke up.

"I picked out a nice polo for you, so we match once I change." I commented as I went back to what I was doing. "The rest of the guests will be here shortly, AJ."

"Oh Preath said they would be here as well, they just needed to go home and change. I have sworn them both to secrecy regarding the Marvel guests."

"I trust them, babe. I trust them because you trust them." I answered him without hesitation. I did. I trusted his team, because they have yet to actually cause me any doubts in that trust. "Go change, I'll handle it."

He pulled me close once more and pressed a kiss to my forehead. "You, my love, my Chase, are a goddess among us mortals, and I love you."

"Just as I love you, AJ." I felt my face flush deeply at the words of praise. He always knew what to say.

AJ pulled away and headed upstairs to get changed. As soon as I heard the bedroom door shut, I heard the doorbell ring.

"Go ahead, I can finish this." Scar insisted as she and Aubrey continued to talk about whatever it was they had been talking about.

I headed for the door, wiping my hands on the towel tucked into my apron. I gently opened it to find Paul Bettany and his wife, as well as two women I didn't quite recognize.