Chapter 6: The 2021 Emmys & 2021 Holidays

August 2021

POV: Alex

I had watched the Emmy Nominations when they were announced. I was so proud of Chase. She and the team on WandaVision had done so well. I'll admit, I have watched WandaVision at least once a week since it came out, if not more than that.

Chase had headed to Texas early, by request of the producers of her new show. I was actually rather excited to see this one. She had been telling me what little she could about it. It sounded so different from what she normally did. I had never heard of the case of Candy Montgomery, but I couldn't wait to see how Chase was going to portray this whole thing.

Meanwhile I had gone back to teaching in a classroom twice a week with virtual lectures on the third day. It was a new normal and honestly it was good to get back to some kind of normal.

Chase and I had talked for a long time about me going back on campus and I knew she was worried I would get sick. I would do my best to protect myself, masks were still a requirement.

------------------------------------------------

September 19th, 2021

POV: Lizzie

I had flown to LA from Texas two nights ago to attend the Emmys. Tonight however was the big night. I would have much rather had AJ with me tonight as my date, but there was just no way for that to happen. It was disappointing, but I understood. The life I lead is difficult for those not used to it and I can only imagine what AJ would think of constantly being in the spotlight.

"So Lizzie... where's lover boy tonight?" Clay asked, working on my makeup.

"AJ is going to be watching from home. He's been on and off campus for work and his boss is being very specific on what extracurricular activities his staff is allowed to go to. An Award show is not one of them." I answered, sighing softly. "I wish he was with me tonight, he always makes me feel comfortable."

"He's with you, just not here in person. You know that. From how you have described him to me, he would say the same."

I didn't get the chance to respond as my cell rang.

"Speak of the man... and he shall appear-ish." Clay laughed softly, as I answered the phone.

"Babe?"

"Darlin! I bet you are getting ready for the event tonight, so I won't keep you. I just want you to know that you are going to rock it. You are the most beautiful woman that will be there and I have no doubts you will win tonight." AJ said softly, his voice enough to calm my anxieties. "You never did say what you were wearing tonight. I can't wait to watch and see for myself."

"You always know what to say, babe. Thank you."

"Hate to break up this conversation, but Lizard here needs to get back to hair and make up." Clay said just loud enough for AJ to hear him.

"I'll let you go, darlin. Just know I am watching and I am with you. You are my person, Chase." AJ spoke softly.

"Just as you are my person, AJ." I answered back immediately. The call disconnected and I sighed softly. "Even across a phone call, he can still calm me down."

"I need to meet this man. He seems almost too good to be true." Clay arched an eyebrow at me, before getting back to work.

It didn't take long to get finished and get dressed. My sisters had designed my dress specifically for tonight, a lovely flowy white dress. The red carpet went as well as most do, but with increased distance between everyone and most of the staff wearing masks. I kept the answers I gave to the interviewers general, not bothering to bring up any relationship stuff. I had always kept my private life well... private. That wasn't about to change, not yet anyway.

The ceremony went rather quickly, finally we got to my nomination.

"Here are the nominees for lead actress in a limited or anthology series or movie." Beanie Feldstein said.

The presenter took over, reciting each nominee by name. "Cynthia Erivo, Genius: Aretha; Michaela Coel, I May Destroy You; Kate Winslet, Mare of Easttown; Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen's Gambit; Elizabeth Olsen, WandaVision."

Sara Paulson had the envelope in her hand as she leaned towards the microphone. "And the Emmy for Lead Actress in a Limited Series, Anthology Series or Movie goes to..." She paused for a moment, opening the envelope and looking at the name. "Kate Winslet, Mare of Easttown."

I took a breath, letting the disappointment fall away, as I stood and applauded Kate. She had worked extremely hard on her project and it had clearly shown. She did her speech and I sat back letting her words wash over me. Her utter excitement at the win was rather infectious. One of the people at my table reached over and patted my hand. I felt my phone vibrate in my hand. I had a feeling it was AJ checking in on me. I would look at our next break, which wasn't far away.

WandaVision had won three Creative Emmys just a week ago, and so far had not scored a win tonight.

The night ended without another win for WandaVision or the team, which was disappointing, but understandable. The competition was intense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 2021

POV: Alex

Another Christmas and New Years spent on a video call with Chase. Filming didn't give her a lot of time off, so I told her I would be ok and that she should go see her family. The Olsen Clan had gathered for both holidays in New York, where the Twins could be included. We had our standard calls on each day, and her family had even sent me presents for Christmas. They were little things, nothing too extravagant. Jarnie had sent a handful of photos of Chase, mostly some sneaky behind the scenes photos of her various projects. The twins had somehow gotten ahold of my measurements and sent me a custom suit. Black pants and jacket, with a silver silk shirt and a deep green tie and vest. I wasn't sure where I would wear it, but I was thankful all the same. Chase's brothers and younger sister had done a group gift of all of The Scarlet Witch comics, with notes on where I should start and which ones they thought were best.

Chase, not to be out done by her family, had gotten me several of the newest publications of my field of study, including a signed copy of Alice Roberts' Evolution: The Human Story. I had looked up to Dr. Roberts for years and her research into paleopathology and osteoarchaeology was simply unrivaled.

I didn't know how I would ever top that gift. I would figure that out eventually. I set Chase up with a subscription of a few gardening club magazines, along with a seedling delivery service. She seemed to enjoy the idea of getting new seedlings once a month that was customized to her LA home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Shorter chapter that took entirely too long to actually write, but I think it's still rather good. Chapter 7 is nearly fully written, I just need to add a bit more detail. As is Chapter 8, so those should be up on their respective Friday uploads. Y'all may be getting two chapters out of me this week.

Word Count: 1255