Chapter 18 - Seeing Double

December 2025

POV: Alex

Lizzie had yet another doctor's appointment. It seems that our little family may not be so little for very much longer. I heard the garage door open and close a few minutes later as the inner door opened. I grabbed the baby monitor, knowing Everett was still napping. Walking down the stairs and into the living room, I spotted Lizzie.

"Darlin, how are we feeling?" I asked, wrapping my arms around her.

"We are fine." She answered simply. "I'm kinda tired, I am gonna lay down. Is that ok?"

"Absolutely, darlin. Go lay down. I can handle everything that comes up." I answered softly, pressing a kiss to her temple. "I love you."

"I love you." She answered, pressing a kiss to my cheek and heading upstairs.

I sighed, wondering what the doctor told her. She seemed happy but concerned. I was afraid to press too hard. I decided right then that I would let her come to me when she was ready. My phone chimed, getting my attention. I picked up my cell and opened the message.

-----------------------------------

Wifey

Scar... how do I tell him that it isn't just one this time? Twins. Confirmed today.

---------------------------------

I hesitated for a moment, looking at the text. She meant to send that to Scarlett, that was certain, but accidentally sent it to me. I let the words wash over me. Twins? We managed with Everett well enough, but now we would have three under 4 years old? Could we do it?

"Shit..." I heard from upstairs, before footsteps approached. "Babe?"

I quickly pushed my phone into my pocket. "Yes dear one?" I could tell my eyes were tearing up a little bit.

"Can I see your phone really quickly?" She asked, holding her hand out.

"Absolutely." I handed it over. She saw the open text message and looked up at me. "I'm gonna assume you were trying to talk to Scar?" I said softly.

"You read it?" She didn't want to look at me.

"Dear one, look at me." I placed my fingertips under her chin. "I love you, with all that I am. I knew there was a chance of twins. Both sides of our family have twins on them. My mom was a twin, you have your sisters. I knew it was a chance, dear one. Are you upset about this?"

"No, I just... It wasn't expected..." She tried to explain.

"Chase, Everett wasn't planned either, but I love him all the same. I love him, I love you, and I will love them, regardless of how many there are." I assured her, looking into her eyes. She melted into my arms and I wrapped my arms around her; just holding onto her. "We can and will get through this. We might need a bigger place eventually."

"I dunno about that..." She said, looking up at me. "We have to tell my mom and sisters."

"You get to tell Scar." I smiled at her. "She's getting more god-kids?"

"Probably." She agreed. "She's going to claim them anyway. Although I think we should give my sisters the chance to be godparents. What do you think?"

"I think the only one to handle twins would be the twins, and Scar has Everett to spoil anyways."

We spent the next few weeks deciding how we were going to tell her family about the twins.

--------------------------------------------------------