11.

◈ 𝒃𝒂𝒙'𝒔 𝒑𝒐𝒗 ◈

It's the day of state tryouts. Wren and I have one goal, to make it on Team Victoria. There's a tension in the air that my sister's always bring. But I'm relaxed, unbothered. I knew that I was good enough to make it, there was no pressure. In my head I was the best, and I would continue to dominate and be the best.

Instead of focusing on the task I have set head of me, my focus gets pulled toward new faces. They're not native to Australia, it's clear they're from the States. It peaks my interest, so I watch from a far.

One makes a big fuss, it's clear she wants to be the center of attention. She likes grand gestures and being over the top. Green streaks peak through her dark brown hair as it blows in the wind. The other though, stands off to the side, watching the world pass her by.

Her light hair is half tied up in a knot on top her head, while the rest cascades down her back in loose waves. I can tell she doesn't belong; this isn't a part of who she is. It's clear she's  tagging along with—who I can only assume is—her best friend.

She stands away from her friend as she greets what looks like long lost sisters. They're friends of Ari's—and from what little knowledge I've gathered from my sister—the American must be Summer. The other, an unexpected, forgotten, guest.

I get called for my heat, and when I'm finished, Summer's sitting there begging my sister's boyfriend to break rules. That kid would never. So I offer up my services. Not to impress her or get her to notice me—it's clear she's had feelings for Ari in the past, and I didn't want to get wrapped up in all of that. It's to weasel my way into her circle in order to figure out who her friend is.

I don't particularly like the fact that I have to somewhat sabotage my sister's hear in order to please Summer, but I do it anyways. Her friend—the one wrapped up in a pink button up, one almost the same shade as my hair—stands by with a but if guilt and embarrassment on her face as Summer crashes the heat.

The moment Summer's board hit the water, my job was done. I could focus on the girl that hadn't left my mind since I saw her. The fake smile she seemed to paint on any time anyone else laughed burned into my brain. I paint enough of my own fake smiles to know that she was doing it to fit in.  I wanted to change that. Every ounce of me wanted to be the one to paint a real one on her face. But you'd never catch me admitting that to anyone. If I open up, I'm bound to be hurt. So I'll keep it my little secret for long as I can.

"Your friend's a bit of a—" before I even have a chance to think of an adjective, she's finishing my sentence for me.

"Troublemaker. So I've been told." Her voice is dry, almost like this conversation is one she's had a million times.

She glances at me though, and for the first time I'm able to map out every single detail of her face.  The light freckles that dot underneath her eyes. The brown streak that diagonally cuts down toward her nose in her left eye. It's striking, it pops against the blue surrounding it.

There's a scar tucked up under her left eyebrow, and another below on the same side. It almost looks like a healed battle wound. Though I don't think she'd ever enter a battle with how lonesome she seems.

"Doesn't take no for an answer does she?" She shifts her focus away from me as the question falls from my mouth. Her eyes watch as her friend rides a wave in.

I see none of it. My eyes are too focused on her, still taking in every single bit of her beauty. I've never been enamored by someone before. Been so pulled to want to have someone in my life. But something about her, made me want to get to know her, be around her, make her feel important.

"She told me you helped her. Not surprised." She quickly glances at me as Summer treads out of the water. "Boys like you like to break rules don't they?" She nudges her elbow into my arm and I swear time slows down. It's like in movies where the girl has an entrance with all the focus on her.

The thing that gets me though is the firecracker comebacks she has waiting to throw at me. I felt like I was looking at a mirror, a reflection of myself. Constantly closed off, constantly alone, constantly ready to defend myself at every turn.

"Boys like me?" I question her. Though I already know the answer. I just wanted her to keep talking. I wanted to keep her distracted, focused on me. I want her to forget everything else around. But that's asking for a bit much, isn't it?

"Pink hair," she reaches up and ruffles the hair on top my head, "tattoos," she traces the edge of my tattoo, "you know, a troublemaker."

My eyes trace her every movement. My body igniting under her touch. She's placed me under a trance and any idea of being a bad boy doesn't exist to me. I may have pink hair, and tattoos, but I am no troublemaker.

"Didn't know expressing myself made me a troublemaker." My voice is low as I speak. But only because she's twisted my mind into knots and the inflection I intend to give gets trapped inside.

"It doesn't." She's short in her response. Her focus finally drifting away. She's checking out and I'm losing her fast.

I'm about to ask her name, when she runs off to wrap Summer in a hug. My opportunity is lost. At least I know I'll get to see her again. She had just become a part of my life. With Wren dating Ari, Summer being friends with the group, she'd inevitably become a part of my life. I'd have more chances to learn more, if she let me.

We all gather together to read the results of the tryouts. I sit back, watching everyone constantly refresh their screens for the results. I don't have to worry; I know I'm in. I'll be forced to spend my time with people who don't care to know the real me. They know where I come from, what I've done, and that's all they care to know.

I expect to see Summer's friend there, but she's not. Honestly, it makes the night that much more unbearable. I'd rather be anywhere else except here. But Wren forced me into coming, and I honestly hoped she'd be here.

"Thank you guys for being so nice to Maybelle. It means a lot to me." Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner!

"I do have to state though if any of you try anything with her I will end you. She's like a sister to me and if any of you make her shed even half of a tear for any reason, you will not see the light of day. And boys, back off she's already got a boyfriend so don't even try. Got it?" She eyes each and every guy down. All of us give into what Summer says. And as her words sting in my chest, all I want to do is leave and forget today ever happened.