15.

"Of course. He can't commit to anything." Wren's snarky tone is radiating like heat from a fire. I'm going to nip this in the butt before it gets any worse.

"May I?" I hold my hand out, asking for the phone held tightly in Bax's palm. Despite that though, he lets the phone slide swiftly into my palm without a single bit of hesitation.

"Good luck." The sarcasm in Bax's tone running in full force. 

"Listen Wren, I know you don't get it. You feel betrayed because Bax didn't follow you and Elo. But did Bax ever really follow the two of you? Be honest here. Every opportunity he was given he went against Elo, pushed every single button of hers he could." Bax nods his head. Middle kid syndrome. Always being walked all over. He was always going to turn out this way.

"But he always, tried to protect you from yourself. Think about it Wren, how much better would your life be if you had friends? If you didn't bully everyone around you? You got a glimpse of that. Why'd you even risk losing it? Weren't you happy?" Bax shakes his head knowing his sister better than anyone.

I can tell he wants to add something to the conversation. He's ready to spew out nonsense and add more fuel to the fire. But I give him quick warning eyes, stopping him in his tracks.

"It's all for my end game." She comments stone cold. No emotion in her voice at all. I can tell it stings Bax to see his sister like this. There is only sadness behind his eyes.

"The finish line isn't fun if your standing there alone. And I'm pretty sure it would be a lot more fun standing up on a winning podium with all your family and friends cheering for you. But be what it may Wren." I sigh and grab Bax's hand. He's showing me a thankful smile, but there is still so much pain lingering there.

"I just know you're missing out on having a great big brother. And a really cool group of friends. You're actually fun to be around when you're not plotting to destroy someone's life." I place the phone back into Bax's hand. "I did my best."

I look toward the sand as I stand. "She'll come around." I kiss his cheek and head toward our things, leaving him to deal with his sister on the phone. He follows behind me shortly after. Gathering up his things without saying a word.

"Cheer up Buttercup." My glance toward him goes unnoticed as he takes off back to normal pavement. He's had enough time on the sand. And apparently enough time around me. "Or ignore me." I mumble as I trail behind him. 

He makes sure I make it home okay, but doesn't stay. He doesn't say goodbye. I don't get a hug. I get nothing from him. He takes off without a word. He's pulling a Radic special, trying to disappear without a trace. 

I enter the house slamming every door that I can. I strip out of my damp outfit and drown myself with a shower. I don't know how long I sit under the scolding hot water, but it's long enough that the water starts to run cold. 

Once I exit the shower, I stare at the clothes scattered across my floor. I've spent so much time wrapped up in the world that is Baxter Radic that I had forgotten that caring for myself was something I had to do. So I spend the next hour throwing dirty clothes into a pile, picking up trash scattered across the floor. I clean my space hoping it will clean my mess of a mind. The day was going so well, how did I mess it up? 

"Hey Maybelle." My door cracks without a knock, I turn to look at who's standing there. It's Ari. "Do you by chance know where Summer's at? We made plans but, she's not here it seems." 

I lift my shoulders. "I've been out all morning. Sorry." I go back to filling a trash bag with the garbage I've collected, but I can still feel Ari's presence. It doesn't bode well. "Do you need something else?"

"No, sorry. Just a bit weird that's all." Ari sighs—turning to leave—but I stop him before he can.

"I can relate. Bax was acting off earlier as well. I thought it was the call he had with Wren. But he normally wants me around when she pisses him off. I don't know. I can let you know when she comes back if you don't want to hang around." 

"That'd be great. By the way, how did that even come about?" His eyes narrow slightly in question. 

"Bax and I?" I question him, getting a nod as a response back. "Long story." I let out somewhat of a fake laugh, letting the conversation end there. I didn't feel like going into detail, and I think he took the hint. He left practically the instant silence sat in the air, leaving me alone again. 

An hour goes before I hear Summer return. She's laughing, being loud and her usual happy self. I peek out my door to see her sending someone off with a lovely goodbye. I rush into her mom's room and glance out the window to see who's walking away when my heart drops. 

Of course, I should have known. 

Without any bit of self-control, I drop onto her mom's bed, my head falling into my hands as I try and hold myself together. He had run to her. She had ditched her boyfriend. How could Ari and I have been so blind? You don't just shut off a connection like a light switch. Things must be rewired, reworked. It takes time to get over a fling. A fling that clearly lingered by the sound that radiated through the house when Summer entered it. 

I swallow down my tears and step out of her mom's room. She catches me leaving as I try and quietly latch the door behind me. "What were you doing in my mom's room?" 

"Looking for a charger, mine won't charge my phone anymore. I thought she might have one in there, but nope." I shrug my shoulders. I don't know how I swiftly brought the lie from the depths of my mind without an ounce of my telltales coming to the surface. I guess I've learned from being around a pack of liars.

I try to enter my room before she lingers around for more conversation, but stop myself before entering. "Your boyfriend came over looking for you. You bailed on plans. He seemed a bit upset so you might want to give him a call or whatever." I shut my door before I can see an expression fill her features. I didn't need to see the guilt rush over her as she realized she stole my boyfriend to ditch hers.