14.

"Bax stop!" I'm laughing, gripping tightly to his surfboard—holding on for dear life as he purposefully tries to tip us over.

"You're going to get wet. You better embrace it." He stops his tipping attempt and yanks on my foot. I nearly send us toppling over into the water myself but a few close wobble saves and we're back to safety.

"You already got me wet. You decided that a wet t-shirt contest was happening up on the beach. Just couldn't wait for me to get undressed." I look over my shoulder at him, and a silly smile is pulled across his face.

"You were taking too long." His voice reeks of innocence. But that boy is far from innocent. Since we've arrived at the beach, he's grabbed my ass, slapped my ass, stared heavily at my chest, kissed me, and has spent the entire time we've been on his surfboard with the best view of my ass he could ever ask for. Definitely not innocent.

"Oh yeah, yeah, blame me." I roll my eyes, as a wave shoves us toward shore.

"We have a strict schedule today Maybelle." He demands. Though that couldn't be further from the truth. We have no plans. We never do. It's the summer. We do what we want, whenever we want, without parental supervision.

"The one where we spend the morning doing this.  And that's it? Such a schedule Baxxy."

One of my favorite parts of spending time with Bax is the banter between us. The two of us are a constant reel of sarcasm. We are effortlessly ourselves, not afraid of pushing the wrong button. There's never a too far with us. I think that's what makes what we share so special.

We are able to forgive, forget, and move forward without a hesitation. At least now. There isn't much either of us could do that would set the other off. I think we were lucky in that regard. We both had pieces of us that were missing, it seemed as though we filled those holes for each other.

Bax refuses to let us return to land until we both successfully stand together and ride a wave to shore. It takes many failed attempts. I lost count after twenty. It took too much effort to keep track anymore. But when we official do, I think I might actually cry tears of joy. I was tired of being sucked underwater and crashed around in waves.

Once we reach our things piled up on the sand, Bax checks his phone. An instant dread floods his face. A part of me knows that I shouldn't ask, but my curiosity gets the best of me. Not because I want him to open up, because I want to take away whatever has his mood shifting sour. 

"Care on telling the pretty girl stood in front of you what's going on?" I place my hand over his phone, pushing his hand down toward the sand. 

His eyes shift up toward me, the coldness that had filled them, warming almost the moment I'm back in focus. "Just Wren telling me a big brother wouldn't give up in his little sis."

"Have you called her back?" I run my thumb along his skin as he fights the urge to turn away, avoiding the question entirely. 

Bax had opened up to me on our long night together. It had been a week since then. Wren was still trying to contact him. I'd always know when she did. Bax's mood would always shift. Or if we weren't together, I'd get a text asking to meet up immediately. I always dropped everything I was doing to be there for him too. I was happy to be his little escape from reality. 

"I don't want to." He confesses. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to because he doesn't want to lose the little bit of heaven he has here. He doesn't want to taint it anymore with the venom his sister leaves behind.

"I would trade every single thing I had to have one more second with my brother. You never know what could happen to her Bax." I give his hand a squeeze, as a tightness fills my chest. I had yet to open up about my brother to anyone here. The only person who knew was Summer, until now I guess.

"Whatever happens, she deserves it." The words sting. I know he doesn't actually mean it. He's bitter, hurt, broken. 

"Baxter..." my voice trails. I let my hand slip from his as I start to walk away. Not to leave, just to control the tears that might fall as I tell my story. The story of my scars, the ones I've caught him staring at on many occasions. 

"My brother and I were in a car accident with my parents when I was younger. It's how I got my scars, the ones you think make me some warrior. I didn't get them by being any warrior. My brother was the warrior. I got a few stitches while he fought for his life in the hospital. I made it. He didn't. One second he was here and the next he was gone." 

I feel Bax hovering behind me, but I can tell he fears touching me. He's afraid that if he does I'll crack. I turn into a pool of tears that he won't be able to save. So instead of giving him any sort of option, I turn and look up at him. "So please, do not wish to lose someone you love." 

I reach up and run my thumb along his cheek, a small smile turning up at the corner of my lips. "People make mistakes. Okay?" 

"I don't think I made a mistake here." He places one hand on top of mine, the other tucks around my waist and pulls me toward him. 

"I'm pretty great aren't I?" I raise to my tippy toes and place a soft kiss to his lips. "Now call your sister back, or you're not getting another one of those for eternity." I run off so he can't pull me in, sweep me up in his spell, and steal another one for himself.

I look over my shoulder at him, completely turning as I get an acceptable distance away from him—in my book at least. He's shaking his head at me, with an smile that reads, "you're an idiot, but I think I might love you for it".

"Call your sister!" I yell and get the most exaggerated eye roll in return.

Her obliges though. He pulls his phone to his ear as he traces lines in the sand with his toes. I watch at a distance for a while, but slowly start to make my way toward him when his eyes continue to glance in my direction. He doesn't seem upset, he's not yelling at least. So it's already better than I expect the conversation to be going. 

As I approach I make a silly face at him—sticking my tongue out and crossing my eyes like a fool. He shoves me playfully while trying to hold the conversation he has going with his sister. I grab a handful of sand and chuck it at him for his totally—not—rude shove. His mouth drops at my action and I know I've just started a war.

I take off running. I don't know why because it's been proven that I am no runner. I'm screaming and laughing as I try and get away. There is no doubt that Wren must hear it on the other end of the call, but I don't care. I care about Bax's happiness, not how annoyed she might be at the interruption. 

He sweeps me up in one foul swoop. One of his warms wrapping tightly around my waist from behind. He holds me tight, not letting me go. He's captured me. "I am in the middle of something, can you behave for two seconds?" He tries to be serious, but he's fighting the urge to not break out in laughter. 

"Coming from you!" I exclaim, as he lowers me down my ball of a body to the ground

And as I do, I hear Wren on the other end of the call. "Dating the other American now? Making her cheat on her boyfriend? You're no better than me Bax." 

Bax's lips tighten. It's taking every ounce of his composure to not lose it. "I never had a boyfriend. Summer was just being Summer. I know you know all too well what that means." A fake kindness radiates in my tone. It's condescending and I should care, but I don't. It's clear Wren hasn't learned from her mistakes. Elo is still driving the manipulation dagger into Wren's back. 

"Also, we're not dating. Your brother is still on his 'I like to keep my options open' kick." My eyes shoot to Baxter. His face is scrunched up. If I wasn't already on the ground, I'm sure he'd tackle me for my comment. Because we were very much dating, very much exclusive, but it was very much not her right to know.