Chapter 35

Kyla's P.O.V
I couldn't believe Matteo did this to me. I saw Adrian's crimson red blood over and over again. The metal pointed to his temple, and I couldn't do anything about it because I was drugged, I was weak, and I was powerless.

I woke up from my bed. Was it a dream? Could Adrian still be alive? All the food I had inside my body formed a lump in my throat, I rushed the bathroom to take out all the excessive waste. It was abnormal for me to throw up. Ever since I was a kid, I never used to throw up.

This is a sign that Adrian is dead and that I'm throwing up because of the drug Matteo had put inside me. I wiped some vomit off the side of my mouth. I walked back inside the bedroom, and I sat on the bed thinking.

My memory came flooding back to me. Adrian had said that I needed to find where the original crown of laurel was found. I know that's what my name means, but it could not be as obvious as me searching in the web where the original crown of Laurel was found.

Adrian didn't deserve to die. I hate to say that even though I really do try to hate Matteo but I can't because he has a soft spot in my heart. There was something I learned from Willow about the mafia. She said something about an Omertá code, meaning you must swear your silence to the mafia. You take an oath to not speak about the secret operations that happen in the mafia.

Adrian broke it in every way possible by being a double agent and saving his life. Adrian, by no doubt, was valuable to the French Mafia, so Lucas probably knows about his death. The sorrow in his words made me wonder if he had left something out on purpose for me to figure it out. Something was different from the riddle, but the riddle was what I had to start with because it links to my mom and dad.

The door creaked open, and my heart started beating faster, but I was relieved to see Sky. She switched on the lights and I saw her face clearly. Her hair was a bird's nest. She was wearing her oversized shirt with pj shorts. She looked really sad and heartbroken even.

"Do you twin moment to spare?" She asked, and I tapped the spot next to me on the bed.

"What's wrong?" I whispered so not anyone could hear us. "A lot, actually." She wiped a tear that was already streaming down her cheeks.

"Boys are complicated. They always make things complicated. They make you think they feel a certain way for you but then, they leave for some other chick, leaving to feel like slut." She said and I arched an eyebrow.

"Skyler. Please stop speaking in riddles and actually tell me what's going on." I said, exasperated. She was taken back by my nonchalant tone, and then her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Well, Kyla. Dante cheated on me with Willow." She finally said. Her lips were a tight line, and she looked away, feeling really angry. I could actually feel the anger radiating off of her.

I can't say I'm surprised. With the way Dante and Willow were looking at each other in the plane, it was pretty obvious. Dante does not want to accept his feelings for Sky even though he already confessed to her.

"I'm sorry." I said, trying to comfort her. "I just don't understand, Kyla. Why would Dante do this to me? As a matter of fact, why would Willow do this to me?" She questioned herself. She was really hurt, and I felt bad like my heart was aching.

It was as if I felt her pain. Is it that twin thing? Possibly. "I have something to tell you." I quietly said, and she nodded.

I took a deep breath, and I told her the story from us back in Massachusetts when I met Adrian to how Matteo killed him at the carnival when he found out that he was playing double agent. Also the part about of Lucas.

"So that's why Matteo thought you hated him." Sky said in realization. Hate is a strong word, I do not hate Matteo, I hate his actions. He was not thinking straight. He didn't even let me explain.