50: Evolution of the First Floor

Hob and Gob emptied their buckets and Delta eyed the discarded potato peelings, holey socks, empty cans, and more than a few candy wrappers. The other bucket had the usual collections.

"Did you go into the city?" she asked, waiting to hear the goblin's story before getting upset. Gob shook his head.

"Deo! Found us and gave us stuff. He said he'd come back soon," the goblin grinned, happy to have found some loophole in getting things from the village without actually breaking any of Delta's rules.

Deo... the thing Delta never planned for and most likely could never hope to do so.

"That's fine, great work!" Delta praised, tasting day old potatoes and just a sliver of chocolate.

Poor Chocolate added to the menu!
Potato added to the menu!
Smelly sock added to the menu! ...t-thank you! ....it smells...different.

Delta looked down at the cheerful goblins, both eagerly talking about the next harvest. On a whim, she opened Gob's menu.

Gob: Goblin (Contracted)

A young goblin who survived a goblin hunting camp. He is the brother to Hob. He finds purpose and pride in gathering for the dungeon. He spots things more than Hob but lacks the strength to carry as much as Hob.

Equipped: Wooden Sword. Wooden armour and helmet

Class: 75% ???

Evolution: 22% Goblin thug. Goblin Archer. ???

I know Gob can do it!

Delta blinked.

A class and an evolution?

Classes were a thing? She knew Cois was a pyromancer but that seemed more like power and a title to go with it. Her contracted monsters could gain a class... or was it all her monsters? Delta closed the menu and pondered as the goblins ran off.

"What's the difference between a class and an evolution? Oh, better question, do real people have classes or is this another dungeon thing?" she asked the empty air and then smiled at the nearby wall.

"You can stop hiding and answer, I know you're dying to," she called. Nu shimmered into view with a sad ding.

I thought you weren't paying attention...but yes, I would very much like to show off how smart I am.

Delta rolled her eyes but just waited as Nu came closer.

Classes are mantles one can wear around themselves to increase ability and growth in that area. It differs from Evolution because with evolving, the being itself becomes the class instead of the class gradually shaping and enhancing the person. One could say they are almost two ends of a road in which one can travel. People outside may have them, it does seem it's highly rare from the information I have gleaned from the visitors thus far. Rare as they must set their entire being into one such area and very few people can live, dream, eat, love, weep, and cherish something enough to give that type of devotion over spreading out and enjoying all of life's gifts.

Delta could see that but then pointed down the hall at her gobs.

"And them? They have both going on," she pointed out and Nu hesitated as he thought of an answer.

Mostly because they are goblins. Simple-minded living is what they excel at since they tend not to last long in the outside world. Classes would be rather easy for them.Evolution is simply inherited from their monster side. I've never seen a wild monster gain both at the same time though. Renny, as you could see, has a very strong Mime power. That is mostly from a class. You could no easier tear the mime from Renny than his ghoulness. Come with me.

Nu turned and floated down the hall. Delta followed easy enough.

"So monsters can do both... can people do both? Can people evolve?" she pondered and Nu chimed with interest.

Evolution is something that one can or cannot do. Anyone with enough will can earn a class if they truly desire it. Evolution is not a thing one can just work at. It is build into a person... so if people could evolve, they must utterly change themselves, be part-other, or become a creature of carnage, death, and hate to rival a monster. Well... that would be normal people. I have no clue on Dungeon contract people... we should test this somehow.