16

Jeon Jeongguk sat in his study room, surrounded by towering shelves filled with leather-bound books and adorned with intricate antique decorations. He was going through some documents, his face stern and focused, as always. This was his sanctuary, where he conducted his business and made decisions that could influence the course of the city's underground dealings.

One of the servants, a middle-aged woman named Mrs. Lee, knocked lightly on the door and entered the study room. She approached Jeongguk with a respectful bow.

"Mr. Jeon, I apologize for disturbing you, but young Master Taehyung has requested to speak with you," Mrs. Lee informed.

Jeongguk raised an eyebrow, not used to interruptions during his work. However, when it came to Taehyung, he was willing to make exceptions. He nodded, granting permission, and Mrs. Lee quickly left to fetch Taehyung.

Moments later, Taehyung entered the study, looking a bit anxious. He glanced at Jeongguk, who motioned for him to come closer.

"Mr. Jeon, you wanted to see me?" Taehyung asked politely.

"Yes, Taehyung," Jeongguk replied in his usual composed tone. "I've arranged for you to have a conversation with your brother, Yeonjun."

Taehyung's eyes widened with surprise and gratitude. "You... You're allowing me to talk to Yeonjun?"

Jeongguk nodded. "Yes, I believe it's only fair that you have a chance to connect with your family. I've made arrangements for a secure and private phone call. You can use the phone on my desk."

Taehyung's eyes welled up with tears of gratitude. "Thank you so much, Mr. Jeon. You have no idea how much this means to me."

Jeongguk simply nodded, not showing much emotion but understanding the significance of this moment for Taehyung. He gestured to the phone on his desk, allowing Taehyung to make the call.

With trembling fingers, Taehyung dialed his brother's number and waited anxiously. After a few rings, Yeonjun's voice came through the line.

"Hello?" Yeonjun's voice crackled with emotion.

"Yeonjun! It's me, Taehyung!" Taehyung's voice quivered as tears flowed freely down his cheeks.

"hyungie!? Is that really you?" Yeonjun's voice was filled with disbelief and joy.

Tears streamed down Taehyung's face as he replied, "Yes, it's me! I miss you so much!"

Yeonjun's voice was choked with tears as well. "hyung, I can't believe I'm hearing your voice again. I've missed you every single day."

For the next hour, the two brothers talked about everything and nothing. They laughed and cried, sharing stories of their lives apart. Taehyung asked Yeonjun about his university and how he was doing. Yeonjun listened eagerly and shared his own experiences.

It was a heartfelt reunion, and both of them needed this connection desperately. Jeongguk watched silently.

After their conversation, Taehyung wiped away his tears and turned to Jeongguk with immense gratitude in his eyes. "Thank you, Mr. Jeon. I can't thank you enough."

Jeongguk nodded, his cold exterior hiding any hint of emotion.

As Taehyung left the study, Jeongguk returned to his work, the weight of his decisions and responsibilities settling back onto his shoulders. But for a brief moment, he had allowed the warmth of family and gratitude into his world, even if it remained hidden behind his cold façade.
___

Please vote and comment if you liked the chapter.💌