Secrets

Anyone who was awake long enough to reach the midnight hour would have felt a horrendous chill sweep the Isle.

Alex pulled his cloak over his head, sneaking across the Isle to meet her, pouches of gold attached to his belt.

"Have you done as I've asked?" She spoke, in her hands was a rope attached to a bound boy, "Or I'll throw this one into the sea, he was only a convenience after all. I care not for my son, Alex, you know how that feels, don't you?" she threatened, mocking the Kestrel as the boy struggled.

"Three thousand gold and you let go of my... friend's son," Alex threw pouches on the ground towards Loriel, waiting with baited breath.

"Such a pity, this one would have been fun to drown, and such a powerful one too! Goodbye, Brother!" She cackled, kicking the boy towards Alex before she disappeared.

"Juniper! Oli has been worried sick about you!" Alex unwrapped the ropes.

"How do you know who my family is?" Juniper was suspicious of this stranger.

"I'm a new Kestrel, your father cannot know about my business with your mother. I'm Alex, your mother's stepbrother."

"You're my mother's what now?"

"My father, William of Crowton was not faithful to my mother and so Loriel was born to a servant girl with pretty eyes as my father described her," Alex took Juniper by his hand and led him to the Kestrel base to return him to Oli.