12. Keeper of the flame

keeper of the flame - nina simone

[lonnie, 25]

<puff reveal>

[]

August 2011

"Aye." Lonnie called up to the window of the two story brick home. "Aye!" He yelled louder this time, "Kwabena!"

"Whatchu want with Kwabena?" He heard a voice from the front of the house. He walked around from the side, meeting where he heard someone's voice. "How do you know where his room is?" A man asked, somewhere in his thirties. His face was slim, a beard covered the bottom, lightly. And his eyes were big and droopy. He wore a knitted kufi hat over his short, buzzed hair.

Lonnie walked up the stairs, "Is he home?"

The man nodded.

"Can he come out?"

The man shrugged, "If he wants to."

"How come he haven't been at school lately?"

"He's a little under the weather." He looked over Lonnie's appearance. He was tall-ish, a light caramel color with long unkempt hair forming a medium sized uneven afro. He wore a white wifebeater and an unzipped red zipper hoodie paired with dark blue jeans and white adidas. "You his friend?"

Lonnie nodded. The man went inside and Lonnie waited on the porch. He came back out a couple seconds later as if he'd forgotten something, "What's your name?" He asked.

"Lonnie."

"I'm Oz." He nodded, closing the door behind him as he went back in.

"You still out here?"

"He have the flu or something?"

Oz shook his head. He sat on the chair beside Lonnie. "You live around here?"

Lonnie shrugged. "Like a 15 minute walk."

"That's how you got here?"

Lonnie nodded.

August 25, (present day)

"You know it's alright if you wanna come in." Lonnie heard Oz's voice. He'd been sitting on the porch for a few minutes, hoping that somehow Cobe would be pulling up soon or opening the door to welcome him in. Nothing of the sort happened and he had begun to tear himself apart at the silliness of his imagination. Wondering why he even thought it would be a good idea to come to the home where he was ambushed and nearly killed at his last visit, he looked back and still finding nobody there. Feeling as if his unrested brain was beginning to play tricks on him, he stood, readying to leave the property.

"I'm around back." He realized the voice was coming from the security device on the door.

"I didn't know anybody was home." Lonnie said, speaking back to the voice coming from the camera he was now standing in front of, "My bad." He began to walk down the steps to leave.