24. Free Shows

[Sadé Craighead, 23]

December 3
10am

It was the same morning, just a couple dozen miles away where Cole, Sadé and baby Georgie were lounging in the living room of Dame's house watching tv. Well, Sadé was watching tv and lounging— Cole hadn't quite gotten up from the night yet. Wrapped in blankets and laying on the sheet covered Couch, he scrolled through his phone.

"Can you get me a water, please?" Sadé asked Cole whom she hadn't seen move from his spot on the couch since she got up this morning around 6am.

"Um, no." He mumbled, not even looking her way.

Sade squinted her eyes at the curly haired man laying on the couch across from her. She asked again, "Cole. Can you get me a water, please?" Just to check if she heard correctly.

"No."

She threw the baby's blanket that was covering her while she breast fed and it hit him in the face. He snatched it off of himself shooting her a look of irritation. She cocked her head to the side. "Throw it back and get some damn water."

He threw it back but didn't get up.

"Don't make me get up." She warned.

"Fine, just cover up that little as titty." He grimaced, as he scooted off of the couch, wincing as he stood. He stood in the spot for a few seconds before willing himself to move. He moved one leg, hissing. Hearing a snicker he shot his head over at the breastfeeding mother.

"The fuck wrong with you?" She asked.

"Nothing." He mumbled with a balled up face.

He took a deep breath and limped across the room to the tune of Sadè's laughter. He stood in the kitchen catching his breath.

It took him all of three minutes just to bring the water back to Sadé who was grinning hard at him as he hissed to take his seat.

"Who did that to you?" She asked after chugging half of the bottle.

"Did what?"

"I mean, somebody been in that ass. You don't play sports so don't gimme no shit about being sore."

"I could be working out."

"No, somebody working you out."

He accidentally laughed through his nose and looked away. He exhaled harshly.

"I won't tell nobody. Not that it's hard to tell. You wear fishnet tee shirts and leather pants." She howled. He glared at her as she continued. "I'm surprised you've never painted your nails."

"It's rock and roll not homosexuality. Get some culture."

"I'm from the Bronx. I got more culture in my little ass titty than you do in your whole body. Which is why I know what i'm looking at." She read him. "Mmm. It was Lonnie wasn't it?"

"Hell no."

"You lying."

"No i'm not. Lonnie is—" he stopped himself, "Why would I tell you anything?"

"Because, nigga. We family now. Spill."

"It's still not him so."

"Oh okay. But for the record, I was right though? Some nigga gave you that limp." She squinted her eyes at him.

Cole scratched his head.

She laughed.

"I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing because i'm right. But, you spent the night here. So, did you—-"

"Hell no."

They were quiet.

"When can I meet Jemaika?" Sadé asked sarcastically. "Did y'all break up or you cheating on her?" She smirked.

"Both. And now you're never meeting her."

"Why not? I look like a snitch to you?" She glared at him. "Take me to the show tonight."

"What show?"

"So now you wanna act like you don't still keep up with her?" She asked, talking with both her neck and hand.

"Fine, you and Chey can go. But i'm not going anywhere near her. She crazy as hell."

"Whatever. I'll be ready at 2."

"The show don't start until 8."

"Okay, you think i'm going to get in last? Hell no. You show up to a concert at least four hours early."

"There are no lines for VIP." He answered her, leaving her stunned. "VIP for your confidence."

"I mean, if only there was anything to even not tell."

"I can't lie. I've never had anyone to talk to about anything without being judged."

"And now you do. In exchange for free shows." She grinned.

April 15,2024