➵ FIVE

FIVE
Italics mean flashback scenes

The rhythmic thunk-tap of boots striking wood echoes throughout the house

The rhythmic thunk-tap of boots striking wood echoes throughout the house. Red hair comes around the corner of the staircase.

"Dad!" A voice bellows.

"Yes, Liv." He says.

"Where did you put my blue hoodie?" She questions him.

"It's getting washed." He smiles at her.

"Oh." She sighs. "I'll go and get my red and gold hoodie." She says.

"Ok, baby." He smiles.

She stops in her tracks when she has a loud bang. "Dad!" She calls out.

Getting no response, she grabs the baseball bat from her room. Tiptoeing out of her room, she creeps down the stairs. Her hands shakily raise the bat as she reaches the last.

All of a sudden in the corner of the room, she spotted a shadow which looked somewhat like a figure. Swallowing, she tiptoes closer to the figure. Getting closer to the figure, she's notices that they are swaying and hears them groaning. Furrowing her eyebrows, she stops a foot away from them.

Lifting her bat, she pokes the swaying person. They stop swaying before slowly turn around.

Bolting upright in bed, a blood-curdling scream leaves Olivia's throat. The bedroom door slams open, Mia rushes to her daughter's side. The mother brings her daughter into her arms as the young woman sobs.

Cara sits down besides her best friend and hugs her best friend tightly. "It's okay." Mia repeats over and over as if to calm her daughter down.

As Olivia begins to calm down Maggie bursts into the door. "Dad wants you." The older woman says.

"You two go back to sleep." Mia instructs the two young women.

Olivia opens her covers for Cara to get in. The two then drift off to sleep. Mia rushes down the stairs and into the room where the boy is.

"And that is?" She hears Rick ask her father.

"Whether to operate on your boy without the respirator." Hershel answers.

"You said that wouldn't work." Lori informs him of his earlier words.

"I know." The older man responds. "It's extremely unlikely. But we can't wait much longer." He adds.

Mia watches as the mother rushes out of the room with Rick following behind to make sure that she's ok. The red haired woman grabs another cloth and begins to wipe the young boys forehead once again.

The woman glares at the clock hoping that Shane and Otis would be back quicker. "Glaring isn't gonna make them come back." Hershel states as he watches her closely.