2

CHAPTER TWO || ATTRACTION

"did you speak to Stiles?" Matteo questioned as soon as Violet sat in the passenger seat of an old car their dad had bought from one of Charlie's mechanic friends. Matteo's voice laced with urgency as he stared at his sister waiting for an answer.

"I mentioned it like I said i would. Did you not ask your genius of a girlfriend?" Violet shot back as matteo turned the key in the engine. The car's faulty interior jumping as the car stuttered.

"i don't want her involved, I don't want her to worry. What did he say?" Matteo asked as he begun the drive toward the school, Violets mind racing with anxiety despite her best friends constant reassurances.

"his exact words were; you're in Forks not buffy the vampire slayer." Matteo huffed at his sisters words as a soft chuckle escaped her lips. Matteos fists clenching around the steering wheel.

"i'm telling you somethings weird about him. Maybe i've been spending too much time with Lydia but i'm definitely right." Matteo defended himself, confident in his accusations. Yet Violet only shook her head as she placed an Earbud in her ear as the Work song by Hozier encased her mind.

"We gonna speak to Bella's friends?" Matteo asked interrupting the few seconds of silence Violet had hoped would stay throughout the drive.

"I guess so. We need to fit in. We still have secrets to keep remember" Matteo nodded as he pulled into the school Car park, Violets heart rate picking up as she caught a glimpse of the students all crowding around in the carpark before heading into the school.

"Vi, we got this. at least we have each other" Matteo reminded as he pulled into a parking spot, Violet nodded at her brothers words.

***

"so Bella what are you doing for your birthday?" Violet asked as the sun shone over the school, soaking into her skin. Matteo walked beside the two girls listening to their conversation, His phone in hand as he texted Lydia.

"Nothing, No presents before you even suggest anything." Bella brushed off Her cousins question gripping the bag that hung over her shoulder, a dull expression etched onto her features.

"Bella come on, It's your birthday. right matteo?" Violet nudged her brothers arm pulling him into the conversation as he just looked at her blankly confused, "she should celebrate"

"oh yeah, Hell yeah. I throw some killer party's, My girlfriend can always give me more tips. Best party forks has ever seen i can guarantee that much" Matteo chuckled to himself looking between the two Girls as Bella shook her head at his words.

"i don't want anything extravagant, I just wanna be at home or with Edward" At the mention of his name Matteo shuddered biting his tongue in restraint. Violet quickly butting in to help Matteo's control; "You should come out with us. We totally need to go out, catch up. i need to hear more about Edward"

"uh yeah- yeah maybe." Bella tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as she approached her locker, Both Matteo and Violet coming to a stop beside her.

"what about your friends here? Any hot guys? for me obviously" Violet chuckled trying to lighten the subject yet bella's face remained fairly dull, Like the life had been sucked from her without Edward by her side.

"i doubt anyone your type, You still have that crush? I can't remember his name, sti-" Before bella could finish her sentence and violet could reply Matteo answered for her while still looking down at his phone; "yes she does"

"no i don't." Violet exclaimed slapping her brothers arm as she shook her head; "no i don't. stiles is my best friend. i do not have a crush on him."

"mhm mhm, The way you hugged him the other day." Matteo chuckled looking up from his phone to shake his head at his sisters antics making a smile tug at bellas lips.

"okay fine. Let me rephrase, Any friends me and Matteo will get on with?" Violet corrected herself in order to dodge the stiles questions. Her crush wasn't serious, At least that's what she'd told herself.

Stiles just made her feel better, And that's what was needed. He was funny, And he was always there for her. And in her mind, a little crush wasn't a bad thing.

"maybe. i mean you'll find out a lunch" Bella suggested as she pulled a book from her locker as her cousins stood beside her, Matteo's eyes now distracted from his phone as he scanned the corridors.

"where's your boyfriend now?" He asked his eyes darting back to bella as he remembered Edward saying he'd pick her up for school. Bella chuckled tucking a stray strand of her behind her ear.

"whenever it's nice out, His parents drag him camping with all his siblings" Matteos brows furrowed at bellas words as he shot violet a concerned glance.

****

"i need to go whale watching at la push again" Jessica groaned as the group sat around a table in the lunch Hall, Violet and Matteo giving each other looks at almost every word that escaped Jessica's lips.

"we could go" Mike chuckled Awkwardly as his eyes darted between Jessica and the rest of his friends as violet watched dumbfounded at the awkward interactions she'd witnessed in the half an hour lunchtime.

"la push?" Matteo Questioned, His eyes falling on bella not prepared to awkward talk to any of his Cousins friends. Bella slowly turned her head toward the twins; "it's a beach, it's nice i go with Jacob quite a lot"

"Who's Jacob?" Matteo raised a brow, his lips flattened to a straight line as he looked at Bella. Violets eyes watching the interaction as she focused on the music blasting in her left ear to calm her Anxiety.

"A friend. He lives by La Push" Bella confirmed making Violet raise a brow, Her foot tapping against the cafeteria floor as she focused on the lyrics filling her ear.

"i'm having trouble in believing, and i just started seeing. light at the beginning of the tunnel, but he tells me i'm dreaming"

The wires by the neighbourhood filled her ear calming her anxiety as she momentarily zoned out of the conversation between her brother and Cousin.

"We should go. La push? We could do that, Beach day for your birthday" Violet suggested, Matteo almost instantly nodding his head in agreement as Bella hesitated.

"I don't know, I'll see.." Bella sighed almost nodding to herself. Matteo's eyes fell on his sister once again, The twins having a mutual idea that something didn't feel right.