twenty seven

"Lost in thought?"

Its been a full week since she started working at the Astral Express. A full week since Mr. Yang explained to her what the Express does. A full week since she settled into a routine.

That routine mainly consisting of hanging out with Caelus because she quickly came to learn that he started working here only a year prior to her initial arrival. In other words, they were both newbies. (Though, he still had some experience under his belt.)

"A little, I guess," she took a bite out of her sandwich. The two of them were currently on a lunch break.

"Is it about what Mr. Yang said?"

"I suppose .. I guess I didn't expect the Astral Express to be so open with doing so many different jobs. I mean, just yesterday I spent the whole day playing hide-n-seek with these three kids and I was even paid for it afterwards!"

Caelus chuckled and patted her back, "yeah, we take on any type of commission that comes our way, so you may get some easy ones here and there."

"Easy, huh? Does that mean that there will be hard ones too?"

Caelus shrugged, "guess you'll just have to stick with us and find out."

"Y/n?"

The call of her name, made her turn to look where the voice came from, her eyes seeming to light up instantly as she dropped her lunch and basically sprang forth, "Dan Heng!"

Caelus was quick to jump up too. A worried look in his eyes as he looked at the Vidyadhara before him.

"I see you managed to get the job."

Dan Heng didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around her waist and hug her back. Though, his eyes never left Caelus.

"And might I ask, who this is?"

Y/n unwrapped herself from his embrace and took his hand, pulling him forward.

"This is Caelus! Hes my new coworker. In fact, we've been doing commissions a lot together this week!"

"And how are your commissions going?"

"Great! Though a lot of them have been super easy!"

"Did you end up quitting your other job?"

She nodded, "yeah, and I'm glad I did, this one pays a whole lot better."

Dan Heng glanced at Caelus again. The grey haired brat seeming to frown at his presence.

And just as she was about to say something else, Dan Heng's phone ringed.

"Ahh, excuse me. I do have somewhere to be today. Though, I'm glad I got to see you. We should get lunch tomorrow if you're free."

Y/n nodded almost immediately, "definitely! I'm actually off tomorrow so just text me when you want to go."

The two hugged again and Dan Heng sent a warning glare towards Caelus before taking his leave. And when he was for sure out of earshot, Caelus cleared his throat.

"You know Dan Heng?"

"Yeah! He's really important to me!"

Caelus looked towards Dan Heng's tretreating figure before he looked back at y/n.

"You should .. be careful around him."

"Huh? Why?"

"Because .. he's Imbibitor Lunae."