Chapter 4: Latenight Talks

When Jace came home that night, he was welcomed by a silent house. It wasn't a wonder since all his oldest children were spending the night at his mother's home. But still, he felt the lack of warmth of his usual welcoming mate.

Jace had been worried about his mate the whole day, even though Taehyun mind linked and assured him that his mate was okay. Jace knew whatever happened last night wasn't just a small thing.

Jace found Noah sitting on the floor of their balcony. It was a cold night, and the cold wind entered through the opened balcony door. Omega seemed to not mind the cold as he sat on the floor with arms around his knees and resting his chin on his knees. He was only wearing a thin pajama suit and shivered with the cold. But the silver-haired angel didn't mind it as he glanced at the night sky. It was a clear night with fewer clouds. So, he could clearly see the twinkling stars that lit up the night sky.

Jace didn't immediately go to his mate. First, he washed, changed into his own pajamas, and prepared two cups of coffee before going to his mate with a blanket.

"Here."

Jace spoke, pulling Noah out from his thought net. The first omega was startled but then relaxed with the soft sandalwood and fire scent wrapped around him. Jace took a seat beside his mate, handing over a cup to him.

"Drink this. It will make you warm."

Noah accepted the cup from his mate, and he already felt the warmth flow through him from the warm coffee cup. Jace placed the blanket over omega's shoulder, shielding him from the cold wind. The blanket was soft and smelled like both sandalwood and floral mixed honey-vanilla, immediately relaxing Noah with their combined scents.

They didn't talk for a while. They both sat side by side, slipping from their cups silently. It was a beautiful night, and none of them wanted to break it. But finally, Noah couldn't bear the silence anymore. He had been restless since last night.

"Don't you want to know what happened?"

Noah's voice finally broke the silence throughout the day.

"Do you want to tell me?"

Jace turned to look at his mate. His eyes met those azure ones. Noah didn't look away from alpha. They hold each other's glances for a while.

"I don't know."

Noah finally averted his glance. He seemed so small and unsure. Jace's heart filled with pain over his mate's state. He wanted to take away all of his husband's pain immediately.

There was silence between them. The omega seemed to be battling within himself. Even though he was wrapped in a blanket, his inner temperature caused him to shiver. Jace threw his arm around him, cuddling his mate into his warmth. Omega went willingly for the safety and comfort of his mate.

"You know, whatever happened, I'm here." Jace assured, rubbing his cheek along the silver-hair man's neck. Fresh sandalwood spiked enveloping other. "I'm not letting anyone hurt you. You are safe."

Noah nuzzled Jace's chest, inhaling the comforting scent of his mate. He felt safe and protected. After a long time, it was the only place he felt truly safe. Noah didn't know where to begin.

It was an underestimate to say he was scared. He was terrified. Since last night, he heard that name, he had been scared shit out of his life. It was a name he thought he would never hear. It was like a Pandora's box. It was safe as long as the lid was closed. But once it was opened, he didn't know what horrors would come out. But now the lid was loose. It would open sooner or later.

His life was a mess. With one secret after another, one lie after another. He also didn't know who he was anymore. When he married Jace, he swore to himself that he would keep his past as a past, not letting anyone hunt him anymore. His parents made sure of that. They erased all the traces that related to his past, along with who he really was. He was able to keep that until now. He never let one slip. He tried to control his panic attacks. He controlled all his triggers. He learned to sleep through his nightmares. He learned to erase it all.